Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave: Bitwarden, WebTorrent, PDF Viewer

Waterfox: uBlock Origin, Cookie AutoDelete, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere, Security Plus

Firefox: uBlock, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere, Security Plus
Maintenance tools
BleachBit, Kaspersky Software Updater, DestroyWindowsSpying, DestroyWindowsTracking, WindowsSpyBlocker
File and Photo backup
External Drive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect

feelsdabman

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2018
I wanted to mitigate windows surveillance so I disabled as much as I can and used DestroyWindowsSpying to remove telementary, keyloggers, etc. I try to use open source software when I can so I know the software I'm using isn't fishy. I thought about switching to a Linux distro, but I just don't have the time to figure out hardware compatibility and learn Linux commands.

Mobile Configuration: https://malwaretips.com/threads/feelsdabmans-mobile-config.82541/

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@feelsdabman: I would enable Device Security: SmartScreen.

Also, if You set-up Avast Free with Hardened Mode in Agresive, You don't need VoodooShield Free running alongside...

As "Virus and Malware Removal Tools" You may add ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser.

Thanks for sharing :)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I wanted to mitigate windows surveillance so I disabled as much as I can and used DestroyWindowsSpying to remove telementary, keyloggers, etc. I try to use open source software when I can so I know the software I'm using isn't fishy. I thought about switching to a Linux distro, but I just don't have the time to figure out hardware compatibility and learn Linux commands.

Mobile Configuration: Android - feelsdabman's Mobile Config

Also, if You set-up Avast Free with Hardened Mode in Agresive, You don't need VoodooShield Free running alongside...

As "Virus and Malware Removal Tools" You may add ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser.

Thanks for sharing. +1 @harlan4096

feelsdabman

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2018

Will definitely enable smart screen. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

feelsdabman

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2018
My PC configuration has been rated at moderate risk. How should I go about improving my security? I've enabled SmartScreen which was before disabled, but im not sure what more I should do.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Not an error, It was tagged as Risk Moderate because at the moment of publishing SmartScreen was disabled, I've been about 24 hours offline, that's why I had no chance to update the status :)

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Like the setup but you should really consider backups especially when you have an SSD. For me it takes less time to restore a backup (20 min) than to fix something that I broke. Also worth considering using a standard user account and keeping a separate admin account. I know there is resistance but it is very easy to set up and you will be surprised how rarely you need to elevate a process.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.