Scorpion Illuminati

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 14, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
See image above
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstall the software, disable antivirus, remove antivirus, disable controller access
I am running into the issue again. This time when trying to run steam I am getting the same error message. I have removed Emsisoft Anti-malware thinking it was the culprit. Embarrassedly removing it did not solve the issue. The suggested fix is to turn off controlled folder access which I have. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be, should I reset my PC?
file not found.png

controlled access off.png

Reactions: oldschool

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Well, the problem is probably that you have the whole Steam installation on a different hard drive/partition. Usually you install Steam on C: and save the game library to the D: Hard disk/partition.

I would advise you to do that:

1. Uninstall Steam and reinstall it (but on the C: disk/partition!, so just follow the default settings when installing).
2. Then log in and change the installation directory of new games with this tutorial "How do I change the default installation path for my games?": Moving a Steam Installation and Games - General Troubleshooting - Knowledge Base - Steam Support
3. Then you have to reinstall all your games.

There are probably other and better ways. Therefore my way is probably the "last" one, if all others don't work :) But it should work 100%.

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Even the controlled folder access is a mess, it possible did this, you have to always whitelist one by one throught controlled folder settings to completely run software without issues

I would uninstall steam with geek uninstaller, and then just reinstall.

I just was about to post guide pictures here, but controlled folder access blocked paint.exe and i couldnt find the file to save it properly, i had to discard whole picture > whitelist > and then paint working correctly

Upvote 0

Scorpion Illuminati

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 14, 2017
Well, the problem is probably that you have the whole Steam installation on a different hard drive/partition. Usually you install Steam on C: and save the game library to the D: Hard disk/partition.

I would advise you to do that:

1. Uninstall Steam and reinstall it (but on the C: disk/partition!, so just follow the default settings when installing).
2. Then log in and change the installation directory of new games with this tutorial "How do I change the default installation path for my games?": Moving a Steam Installation and Games - General Troubleshooting - Knowledge Base - Steam Support
3. Then you have to reinstall all your games.

There are probably other and better ways. Therefore my way is probably the "last" one, if all others don't work :) But it should work 100%.
That worked for Steam, but now Microsoft Word 2016 is doing it too and it's installed to the C partition. I think there is a bigger issue at stake then just being installed on the wrong partition.
File Not Found Word.png

Upvote 0

Scorpion Illuminati

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 14, 2017
Welp, I have just discovered that Postgres pgAdmin4 is now exhibiting the same behavior as the others.
File Not Found pgAdmin4.png

I actually just realized something. I THINK some of these apps were put to sleep by Avast clean when I had an Avast Premier subscription. When I uninstalled it never undid whatever it did to put those apps to sleep in the first place. Of course, I'm not 100% sure if the statement above is 100% accurate but have a funny feeling in my gut. As all data was "cleaned" when I ran the clean tool, it is unfortunately impossible to reinstall Avast Clean and undo it via the app. Any ideas?

Update (5/7/19 4:37pm):
sfc 2.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.