Advice Request File wall - CDR security layer

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
According to the Verizon 2020 Data Breach Investigations Report2, an estimated 94 percent of malware is delivered via email with 90 percent of malware hidden in common file types such as PDF, Word, Excel, and Zip.

1622911486566.png

CDR describes the process of creating a safe copy of an original file by including only the safe elements from the original file. The process offers a detection-less and streamlined solution that is notably different from common  sandbox-based antimalware tools in the market.
Microsoft 365 and Exchange Online administrators can get a free license of FileWall here

The full article is available here:

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It seems that Microsoft's security development has been noticed by the Forrester Wave:

1622920070343.png1622920264687.png

We may only hope that this can also improve the Microsoft Defender protection for Home users. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I wonder how much email clients play a part in the protection. I know Windows has a built-in Attachment Manager which can be configure to High Risk, Moderate Risk and Low Risk. Maybe something that can be managed via ConfigureDefender or H_C/SWH? The default level is "Moderate".

I don't know enough about it really but info here: Information about the Attachment Manager in Microsoft Windows

The other option is to turn off downloading full message in your sync settings.

EDIT: I see @Andy Ful is already has solutions. Q&A - Simple Windows Hardening

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.