Status
Not open for further replies.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
What is it?
The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases. These are then neatly displayed in your browser for you to download.Please note that not all programs are supported.

sshot-1.png

But it gets better...
The client is FREE, just over 200kb to download and only takes seconds to run! In fact on our test machines the process is complete in under 2 seconds!

What are the requirements?
The Update Checker works on any PC running Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2012, 2008, 2003, 2000, ME or 98.
It requires that the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is installed, which you may download directly from here, or the installer will prompt and download it automatically.

Download here : http://filehippo.com/updatechecker

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Additionally, you chose whether FileHippo displays or hide Beta updates, and to close if no updates are found.

(It's been over a year since I last used it).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As an alternate I do recommend Secunia PSI (more security-orientated), especially if you have many plug-ins installed (Java, Flash Player etc) with no background update services running.

Most of the software I use have their own updater, notifications or silent auto-update. For portable applications, I update manually because they need to be extracted to a specific folder, and NOT installed to the Program Files. The portable applications I use, are less commonly used and update only when required, they are not critical to the OS.

Some examples below:

Google Chrome Canary - Silent auto-updates
upload_2014-4-26_17-35-19.png

Windows Store Apps - Silent auto-updates
upload_2014-4-26_17-34-20.png

Internet Explorer - Automatic updates via Windows Updates
upload_2014-4-26_17-33-20.png

IObit Uninstaller - Notification about new update
upload_2014-4-26_17-32-47.png

OBS - Notification about new update, built-in updater
upload_2014-4-26_17-32-22.png

Nvidia GeForce Experience - Notifications for new updates
upload_2014-4-26_17-32-8.png

Creative Cloud - Notifications for new updates
upload_2014-4-26_17-36-40.png

Enjoy the screenshots! :D

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
As an alternate I do recommend Secunia PSI (more security-orientated), especially if you have many plug-ins installed (Java, Flash Player etc) with no background update services running.

Most of the software I use have their own updater, notifications or silent auto-update. For portable applications, I update manually because they need to be extracted to a specific folder, and NOT installed to the Program Files. The portable applications I use, are less commonly used and update only when required, they are not critical to the OS.

Some examples below:

Google Chrome Canary - Silent auto-updates
View attachment 10299

Windows Store Apps - Silent auto-updates
View attachment 10298

Internet Explorer - Automatic updates via Windows Updates
View attachment 10297

IObit Uninstaller - Notification about new update
View attachment 10296

OBS - Notification about new update, built-in updater
View attachment 10295

Nvidia GeForce Experience - Notifications for new updates
View attachment 10294

Creative Cloud - Notifications for new updates
View attachment 10300

Enjoy the screenshots! :D

Wow, thanks, I never used secunia before. Would surely try.

The Secunia PSI explained
The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs which can leave your PC open to attacks.

Simply put, it scans software on your system and identifies programs in need of security updates to safeguard your PC against cybercriminals. It then supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe. The Secunia PSI even automates the updates for your insecure programs, making it a lot easier for you to maintain a secure PC.

Using a scanner like Secunia PSI 3.0 is complementary to antivirus software, and as a free computer security program, is essential for every home computer.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Wow, thanks, I never used secunia before. Would surely try.

The Secunia PSI explained
The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs which can leave your PC open to attacks.

Simply put, it scans software on your system and identifies programs in need of security updates to safeguard your PC against cybercriminals. It then supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe. The Secunia PSI even automates the updates for your insecure programs, making it a lot easier for you to maintain a secure PC.

Using a scanner like Secunia PSI 3.0 is complementary to antivirus software, and as a free computer security program, is essential for every home computer.
I tried it & it failed for me, so i'm using filehippo. But mostly i check manually for updates, weekly or monthly. It's my old habit ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.