Advice Request Filterlists.com

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm not sure where this thread belongs as it does not pertain to any particular browser, extension or any other software type. I apologize if it's in the wrong place.

I have been wondering l ately what the difference is between filter lists @ filterlists.com. There are many different versions of seemingly the same lists. For example, there are adguard base filters and optimized adguard base filters? What's the difference, other thahn the number of filters in the list? Which is "better" or more secure? In fact, there are multiple optimized versions of filter lists. Why? Are the originals not good enough? There are filters made especially for uBo. Why? Are the non-uBo lists inadequate to use with uBo?

It all seems rather needless to have essentially multiple versions of the same lists.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard (optionally) measures the filter rules that are used.
The optimized variants use only the rules that are used the most, to reduce the load on the adblocker.

An option to use “optimized” filters #68

A long time ago we have added an option (turned off by default) that allows you to send us ad filters usage statistics. This statistics allows us to optimize existing filters and clean up redundant rules. But what’s more important, it allowed us to use special “optimized” filters in Adguard for iOS and Android. App performance and memory usage depends on the filters size, so it is essential to use smaller filters there.
There are some differences between the filter rules of AdGuard and uBlock Origin.
Therefore, the uBlock Origin version of the list is more "optimized" for uBlock Origin.
There are so many lists because AdGuard (automatically) covert their lists to have the best adblocking experience on any platform (AdGuard, uBlock Origin, Android, iOS).

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
AdGuard (optionally) measures the filter rules that are used.
The optimized variants use only the rules that are used the most, to reduce the load on the adblocker.
Okay. So it sounds like the optimized versions might not be best, since what "most" people need won't offer the most protection.
There are some differences between the filter rules of AdGuard and uBlock Origin.
Such as? That's why I started the thread; to ask about the differences in these filter lists.
Therefore, the uBlock Origin version of the list is more "optimized" for uBlock Origin.
Again, specifically how are they different?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay. So it sounds like the optimized versions might not be best, since what "most" people need won't offer the most protection.

Such as? That's why I started the thread; to ask about the differences in these filter lists.

Again, specifically how are they different?
IMO it's the best balance between protection and efficiency.
Important
The more filter lists are selected, the higher the likelihood of website breakage. The quality of the selected filter lists also affects the likelihood of website breakage. The EasyList-related filter lists are high-quality filter lists, as they are actively maintained.

Sure, not every ad will be blocked, but most will.

I'm no filter list expert, somebody like @Kees1958 would be more qualified to comment on the differences between uBlock Origin ans AdGuard, but you can have a look at their rules:

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@n8chavez

Problem with community maintained filters is that contributors add new rules but most don''t remove those rules again when the websites changes or website uses other advertising tactics and or networks. That said the EasyList filters are and were the best maintained community based filters.

A few years ago Brave posted some articles on the high amount of dead and obsolete rules in EasyList (they stated that probably half of the EL rules were dead/obselete). Soon after they hired Fanboy to maintain the EasyList filters for them. It took him 1.5 year to clean EL, Easy Privacy and Fanboy's Annoyamce filters. After the cleanup EL-filter was half the size in bytes (compared before his cleanup action).

AdGuard uses automated mechanisms to check whether rules are fired (that is a better way than checking whether the URL does not return an error). Rules which are not fired or are only fired below a threshold value (I don't know their cut-off point) are excluded in the optimized filters. The optimized versions of Adguard including EeasyList filters are the "best balance between protection and efficiency" as @Gandalf_The_Grey posted (maintained by AG and Brave).

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
@n8chavez

Problem with community maintained filters is that contributors add new rules but most don''t remove those rules again when the websites changes or website uses other advertising tactics and or networks. That said the EasyList filters are and were the best maintained community based filters.

A few years ago Brave posted some articles on the high amount of dead and obsolete rules in EasyList (they stated that probably half of the EL rules were dead/obselete). Soon after they hired Fanboy to maintain the EasyList filters for them. It took him 1.5 year to clean EL, Easy Privacy and Fanboy's Annoyamce filters. After the cleanup EL-filter was half the size in bytes (compared before his cleanup action).

AdGuard uses automated mechanisms to check whether rules are fired (that is a better way than checking whether the URL does not return an error). Rules which are not fired or are only fired below a threshold value (I don't know their cut-off point) are excluded in the optimized filters. The optimized versions of Adguard including EeasyList filters are the "best balance between protection and efficiency" as @Gandalf_The_Grey posted (maintained by AG and Brave).

Oh, interesting! I didn't know that fanboy was hired by, and bases his lists off of Adguard. By that logic, Fanboy annoyances optimized would be preferential to AdGuard Annoyances Filter Optimized, right?

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Oh, interesting! I didn't know that fanboy was hired by, and bases his lists off of Adguard. By that logic, Fanboy annoyances optimized would be preferential to AdGuard Annoyances Filter Optimized, right?
Sorry my explanation was ambiguous: Fanboy (Brave) helps the EaslyList community to maintain the Easy List filters, Adguard maintains their own filterlists.

I don't use annoyance filters, but members have reported that AdGuard Annoyance produces less problems, but Fanboy's Annoyance removes more stuff, so you have to try out what works best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.