Firefox 41 integrates Free Built-in Instant Messaging and Video Chat to Your Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I agree with you entirely.
Firefox is quite an old browser now and i think that mozilla needs to seriously start thinking about building a browser from scratch.
Problem is they intend to implement sandboxing technology into a browser which was not originally designed for this.
Chrome had it easy because it was built from scratch with sandboxing incorporated.
For firefox as it now will be far more difficult.
That's true. Look at Opera for example. In 2013, they decided to drop the Presto engine, not because it was that bad, but because they needed to change things for every page itself, because lot's of things weren't displayed correctly. They switched to chromium and now they are further improving things. Lot's of people are complaining about features that are not present yet and that were there Opera 12, but it was just too bloated, crashed too much and it needed too much work to rewrite everything. They are implementing this again step by step, but the difference is that it is now much much more stable and faster.Firefox is going on the same path right now opera was before they switched the engine. I am not saying they should use chromium or do the same, but they seriously need to think about changing some 'background stuff', and not as I already said working on those extra 'gifts'. Also with the new layout they have (australis), they look newer and more 'up to date' or how do I have to say it, but behind the scenes, it is still the same, old stuff and that's what they also should update, but what they forget at the moment. They look more like chrome now, but in html5 for example or stability, they are way behind.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Excellent post kevin and thanks.
On a side note palemoon seems to be going its own way with the implementation of its new rendering engine "goanna.".
On a personal level i see no major difference between how firefox handles html5 and chrome but this is based purely on the use of you-tube only.
But yes i agree with your thoughts on this.:)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
On a side note palemoon seems to be going its own way with the implementation of its new rendering engine "goanna.".
On a personal level i see no major difference between how firefox handles html5 and chrome but this is based purely on the use of you-tube only.
Thanks Amiga500.
When you look html5-test for example, chrome scores 526 points and firefox only 467 and that's one example. On steam for example you can't watch livestreams in FF, in chrome and Opera you can etc. The devs of palemoon understand that a change is needed, FF devs not unfortunately. I was a big fan of firefox about two years ago, but one of the main reasons that I left and never used it ever since is because of the path they are going. If they don't do anything, the other gecko-based browsers will destroy them (or at least take of lot of potential and current users away from it).

Reactions: Amiga500
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.