Firefox 47 Released with Synced Tabs, New Performance Monitoring Page

Are the new features in Firefox 47 enough to make you use this browser?

• Yes, I'm switching to Firefox as my default browser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm staying with my current default browser

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I'm already using Firefox as my default browser

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Mozilla launched today Firefox 47, complete with loads of new features such as synced tabs, support for custom user agent strings, a new performance monitoring page, HTML5 fallback for old YouTube embeds, and more.

Right now, there's no public changelog available, but rest assured we'll update this post with all the new features included in Firefox 47. This article currently includes the features spotted in the Firefox 47 Beta and RC releases, which we have confirmed to have landed in the stable release.

Synced Tabs
Back in February, Mozilla developers announced a new feature called Synced Tabs. As the name hints, this new feature would allow anyone logged in their Firefox Sync account to access tabs open on any other synced Firefox device.

The feature is accessible through different methods, either via the about:sync-tabs page, via buttons in the Firefox UI, or with the help of a specialized sidebar.

Unless you have a Firefox Sync account, you won't probably spot the feature among the browser's busy UI.

firefox-47-released-with-synced-tabs-new-performance-monitoring-page-504940-5.jpg

New Synced Tabs sidebar

The new about: performance page
This feature has been in the works for some months now, nearing a year. We first reported on its status while included in Firefox Nightly back in August 2015, and since then, Mozilla devs decided the feature was ready for primetime and finally shipped it with the stable branch.

Users can access this new performance monitoring page by typing about: performance in their URL bar.

This new page shows the status of current opened tabs and add-ons. Users can use this new page to check out what tab is eating up too much memory, or what add-on is about to crash.

Color codes that range from green to red provide visual markers and controls allow users to restart the misbehaving tabs or add-ons and avoid a crash of the entire brower.

PS: This new performance monitoring page should go right hand-in-hand with about:debugging, introduced a few versions back.

firefox-47-released-with-synced-tabs-new-performance-monitoring-page-504940-3.jpg

New about: performance page

Custom user agent strings
Announced in March, this new feature is available in the browser's Tools -> Web Developer Tools -> Responsive Design view. The easiest way to reach this page would be to push the CTRL+SHIFT+M keyboard shortcut.

This tool was already available in everyone's browsers for a long time, but Mozilla made a small tweak.

Users can now set a custom user agent string for each tab. The feature can help users view how various sites would look in other browsers, without having to open those browsers.

This new feature is directly addressed at developers, mainly for debugging purposes. All changes in this window are only temporary.

Read more: Firefox 47 Released with Synced Tabs, New Performance Monitoring Page

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Very informative and well written Jack, Thank You
I have used FF for many years, through many bugs :) and i must say, it has come a very long way
from those days.
Without that lil fox on my PC I would feel very lost. lol

:EDIT: Not showing up for me yet here in the US, not even on the FF Page you link to up there. Maybe by morning for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas and Jrs30

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I thought it was a problem because not yet appeared to update me! It was released this morning here in Brazil, But I see it's not just here! :)
Firefox.png

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks Jack. I finished off a backup of system as preperation for upgrading to v47. It's going to be interesting, comparing the 46.0.1 about:config entries with this v47 version. I wonder what they have *cough* snuck *cough* in...

D

Deleted member 178

Until FF security increase and can be used with Appcontainer , no point for me to use it over Chrome.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Interesting features but still the thing goes for Firefox if how to retain everything since their competitor [Google Chrome] got the usability and optimize for common masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.