CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
1506437444_firefox-quantum_story.jpg

Mozilla has released Firefox 58, it brings with it a decent speed boost thanks to a new two-tiered WebAssembly compiler which supports streaming compilation. The browser maker says the new compiler is able to compile code faster than the network could otherwise deliver it.

The release notes for Firefox 58 shed some light on what else users can expect from the new update, aside from the new WebAssembly compiler. Some of the new features in this release include support for credit card autofill, support for WebVR on macOS, and improved page rendering speeds for Windows users thanks to Off-Main-Thread painting. One downside to this update is that user profiles are now no longer compatible with previous versions. Those wanting to go to the ESR release will need a new profile.

On the mobile front, support for full-screen bookmark management with folder support has been added, Firefox on Android now supports FLAC media, and support for progressive web apps has been added. The Firefox Search widget has been removed.

You can grab Firefox 58 from Mozilla right now, if you're using an older version of Firefox your browser should update automatically soon.

Source: Mozilla release notes | Image via Mozilla (Medium)

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017

Itachi Sempai

Level 2
Verified
Sep 20, 2017
ESR is intended for organizations and for those wishing to remain on a legacy version of Firefox, but with extended support for security updates.
then why someone will need a new profile if they go to ESR? probably author meant that if you upgrade to 58 and after that you want to downgrade or go to ESR you gonna need a new profile?

p.s. didnot knew about ESR... its pretty nice :) going to use it in some places
release-overview.e70c7ac4b674.png

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Updated upon system bootup. :)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I have restarted my laptop and nothing. The problem persists. I hope Mozilla releases a fix soon!
For some time I have performance issues with videos with Firefox, I thought it was just me. Strange is that I have a powerful machine, it was not supposed to happen, with Opera and Chrome, I have a great performance, but when I use Firefox, it's to cry.

Reactions: GonzitoVir

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
OK, it's solved now. Applied the old procedure of uninstalling and installing again
:rolleyes:(y)

p.s oh but, still having problems with Facebook videos...

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
tested with youtube and facebook videos...no problems here

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi. Yes I did. I have updated Flash, restarted Windows, changed DNS but the problem persists.
Will keep investigating as Youtube videos -again- are not working... they load once after Windows reboot and then doesn't work anymore.
can you try to install this addon? Then, try to press F5 and play the same video again
h264ify – Add-ons for Firefox

if it doesn't work
- try to disable hardware acceleration
- still doesn't work -> switch youtube html5 player to flash player:
+ installing Enhancer for YouTube™ – Add-ons for Firefox -> force youtube player to flash

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.