Battle Firefox Australis, love it, hate it or just don't care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Howdy members, I would like to know what you think about the latest Firefox v.29.0 (Australis UI).

I simply was shocked by the changes since it looks more like a Chromium clone then the actual Firefox that I'm used to. The removal of several features like add-on bar and full theme support made it so bad that extensions were quickly created to restore the add-on bar and old UI. The upgrade also messed up user's profile moving things around where they should be and also broke many extensions.

I simply hate the way Mozilla is starting to move, make Firefox look like a Chromium clone just isn't right.
That is the main reason I chose Firefox over Google Chrome because of useability, now useability is getting removed and for what reason? To attract new users and abandon the ones that have supported Mozilla all of these years.

Here are some links- read the user commits:

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...but-does-that-mean-it-can-compete-with-chrome

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/11/08/will-happen-mozilla-launches-australis-firefox/

That UI is absolutely shithouse. It smacks everyone who stuck with Firefox and didn't run with the herd to Chrome, with a big fat huge Chrome-themed pie in the face, kick up the arse and knee to groin.

Three years ago Firefox was a bloated piece of junk. If they started MemShrink in 2007 they might have avoided being whipped by Chrome. Some people stuck true anyway and even tolerated the piecemeal corruption of the browser interface they loved for it's customization. I was one of those people, still am. I even tolerate Aurora so that I can see what crap changes Mozilla has forced upon us a few months ahead of time. Back in 2009 ...

- If I wanted to remove my status bar, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted to remove my search box, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted my tabs on top, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted a condensed menu button, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted a combined stop/reload button, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted a UI with minimal space for add-on UI, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted inferior developer tools, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted less control over frames, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted a growing add-on developer community not hampered by a warts-and-all API, I'd have moved to Chrome
- If I wanted some idiots to remove per-tab close buttons, I'd have hoped for Australis
- If I wanted a UI that sacrificed a status bar in order to waste space on a useless titlebar, I'd have hoped for Australis

BUT I DO NOT!

So now I'm stuffed. Thanks very much Mozilla. Thanks for rewarding your loyal users with an enforced Chrome experience when they never chose to move to Chrome in the first place!

So please let me know your feeling about Firefox Australis.

Enjoy!! :D

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
it was a refreshing change to see the new UI. of course like the rest of the internet my first thought was "wow, its firefox chrome" :D but it's a smooth move... and hey, as long as it does what it says on the box I'm happy!

Reactions: Sven

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
For those who love Firefox Australis, it is not likely that you will be able to get a x64-bit version. You will be stuck with x32-bit since Mozilla will probably not make a stable x64-bit version. Cyberfox, Waterfox and Pale Moon will still develop x64-bit version without Australis included. Something to consider if you want to experience the full potential of your x64-bit Windows.

Reactions: Kent

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
For those who love Firefox Australis, it is not likely that you will be able to get a x64-bit version.

although I have rarely seen my firefox pushing above 2.5GB of RAM usage (and thats a heavy load), very interesting point.

Actually, it's the best legitimate negative argument against Australis I have come across!

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlebits
I

illumination

For those who love Firefox Australis, it is not likely that you will be able to get a x64-bit version. You will be stuck with x32-bit since Mozilla will probably not make a stable x64-bit version. Cyberfox, Waterfox and Pale Moon will still develop x64-bit version without Australis included. Something to consider if you want to experience the full potential of your x64-bit Windows.

I have to chuckle at this a little bit "no pun intended with name" lol, but, littlebits, using a "clone".. :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Firefox statics from users feedback is now available- https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?product=Firefox&version=29.0.0

Only 18% of Firefox users like Australis, the majority 82% hate it.
It's just like Windows 8 removing the start menu all over again.

Don't be surprised if Mozilla decides to either give users the option to use the old UI or just decides to ditch Australis.

Microsoft gave in to their users but is was a little to late, will Mozilla make the same mistake?

Y

yigido

Firefox statics from users feedback is now available- https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?product=Firefox&version=29.0.0

Only 18% of Firefox users like Australis, the majority 82% hate it.
It's just like Windows 8 removing the start menu all over again.

Don't be surprised if Mozilla decides to either give users the option to use the old UI or just decides to ditch Australis.

Microsoft gave in to their users but is was a little to late, will Mozilla make the same mistake?

Totally agree +1

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
I have to chuckle at this a little bit "no pun intended with name" lol, but, littlebits, using a "clone".. :D

There is a difference between Cyberfox, Pale Moon and Waterfox, they do their own development only use the base source-code from Mozilla. Chromium clones don't do any of their own development they just add features by the extension platform and depend on Google to do everything else.

I

illumination

There is a difference between Cyberfox, Pale Moon and Waterfox, they do their own development only use the base source-code from Mozilla. Chromium clones don't do any of their own development they just add features by the extension platform and depend on Google to do everything else.

I know, just had to tease, a little bit :D

The developer of Cyberfox actually does an excellent job staying on top of things.

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
Once my theme has been added and I show menu bar, I barely notice any difference. Everything is where it should be.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!
Even though I don't use Firefox, I love the new Australis UI! Ok, it has similarities with Google Chrome visually, yet it's prettier than the previous one, which is getting old... ;)

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Exactly not only that but Firefox previous UI supports full themes which gives users a wide variety to choose from, now with the limited theme support it is just like Google Chrome. They might as well just ditch their engine and move to Chromium like Opera did and let Cyberfox, Waterfox and Pale Moon continue developing the previous UI and engine.
Mozilla theme developers are angry because now none of their themes work on Australis and now there is limited options to make new themes. Australis doesn't look like Mozilla's own work, more like a copy of Google Chrome which most loyal Firefox users did not want.
Australis does nothing but limit Firefox and adds Chrome like features.

Thanks. :D
True!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.