Advice Request Firefox - Emsisoft Browser Security extension slows down browsing

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ZeroStrawberries

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 7, 2020
Hey,

Seems that the Emsisoft Browser Security extension slows down the browsing speed by quite a bit, even taking a few minutes for Firefox to load a single website(Google, Twitter, YouTube, MalwareTips, etc) every once in a while. After deactivating and reactivating it a few times, it only slows down when it is activated. Only one other review on their Firefox extension page mentions this, so maybe it is very limited(could be some extension conflict or something, or just that it hasn't affected many users yet).
I've had it installed for quite some time, and only started happening in the last few days on both Windows and Linux. Unsure if it's only limited to Firefox.

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
Thanks for the information. If you wish to try a similar product, you can try the AVG Online Security extension; it also puts coloured indicators to your search results to indicate what it deems as safe/unsafe or a grey icon when it isn't sure

Technically, the AVG extension too may or may not affect the browsing speed; it primarily depends on how it integrates with the browser, but even if there happens to be a slowdown, it's definitely not noticeable

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Seems that the Emsisoft Browser Security extension slows down the browsing speed by quite a bit […]
I've had it installed for quite some time, and only started happening in the last few days on both Windows and Linux. Unsure if it's only limited to Firefox.
I just checked and I can reproduce the issue you're having. Try contacting support.
Can you confirm the Browser Extension version you’re running?
  • The latest is Version 2023.2.0.47, released February 8th 2023 (5 months ago) for Chrome/Edge/Firefox.

If it’s only a recent issue, then it could be a bad update on their end.

ZeroStrawberries

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 7, 2020
  • The latest is Version 2023.2.0.47, released February 8th 2023 (5 months ago) for Chrome/Edge/Firefox.

I use the latest version (2023.2.0.47), so as you said, something probably went wrong in their update.

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I've noticed the problem for years. I also addressed it in the support chat, which was still active at the time. But it has never been resolved. I have also observed that my computers become extremely slow when Emsisoft processes new signatures. The Firefox browser can then, for example, not be started for a few seconds or only an empty content field of the browser appears. For the above reasons, I decided not to continue using Emsisoft.

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Happened to me this morning. Both on a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 11 notebook. I should have come here first. lol. I refreshed Firefox and, of course, no improvement. I then used my phone without that extension and it worked fine. Finally, and again before coming here. I disabled all my extensions and then reenabled them one by one. Bam. What ya know. But anyway. No big deal. I'm sure it will get fixed soon. I have the Malwarebytes Browser Guard disabled if I feel the need to use something. But I don't use Firefox on my Windows 11 notebook. I use Edge with only uBlock Origin and a few other non-security extensions. I promise to always come here first the next time I have issues that seem to get answered here. Oh, wait. I usually do, just not this time for some dumb reason. It would have saved me the time of adding some of my shortcuts back on my Firefox Home screen after the refresh. lol. Take care, everyone.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I just realized that I've been experiencing the same problem. I switched to it from Trafficlight, and earlier used addons because I disabled HTTPs scanning from the AV.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024

EmsiSoft's browser security runs with Mv3. Since that update (september last year) it is reducing download speed (measured with speedtest.net) bij 15% (give or take 2-3 percent) on Chrome.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.