Firefox - how to retain certain cookies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I want to delete cookies when Firefox closes but retain some, specifically, cookies for DuckDuckGo custom settings. I've tried various online suggestions like creating exceptions for duckduckgo cookies, unchecked cookies and site preferences in Settings For Clearing History, but the duckduckgo cookies are always deleted. Is there any way to stop this happening?

PS - I know there's an add-on that will change the new tab url but I'd rather not use it.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks, but I was hoping it could be achieved through Firefox options without using add-ons. According to what I've read it should be possible.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@uninfected1 i searched in Firefox but i am not sure if it will work you have to see for yourself because i don't have Firefox installed.
In options>privacy>history select "adjust settings for history".
In the third box which says "accept cookies from sites" on the right side there is a box "exceptions".
I think in there you can insert the site you want and the cookies will not be deleted.
Of course you will tick the box "clean history when Firefox closes".
This is the fourth box and it is under the option " preserve until".
Once again i don't have Firefox installed so i can't say for sure it will work.
Waiting for your comment and i hope i have helped.

Reactions: uninfected1

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks a lot for your help @tonibalas. The more I look into this the more it seems you need to use a third party program to preserve selected cookies. For instance, ghacks suggests 2 methods to keep certain cookies, one of them the same method you describe, which I've tried. A complete waste of time as their update at the end of the article says neither method works.

What I've ended up doing is to copy the URL generated after configuring DuckDuckGo and then setting that as my Home Page. It used to be possible to do the same with new tab pages in Firefox but now a new tab redirect extension is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@uninfected1 instead of keeping cookies you can add the URL you find in Duckduckgo to your favorites.
You can make a folder just for those url's so even you delete history you wont lose the sites you search in DDG

Reactions: uninfected1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.