Advice Request Firefox is using too much RAM

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Firefox is using too much RAM on my system [ 4 GB DDR3 RAM , Intel Core i3 2nd Gen Processor, 500 GB HDD, 128 GB SSD, Windows 11 Pro X64 ( up to date ) ]
Currently no antivirus using, even no add on. One or more tab using 400 to 650 MB+ RAM, any working way to reduce RAM usage ?? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: amirr

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This is normal nowadays for modern web browsers. Mine without any tab and extension consumes 195 MB. With 8 extensions, it's 350 MB. If I visit sites, then it will increase accordingly. Some sites like youtube, facebook, reddit may consume ram more than MalwareTips for example.
You may check out MS Edge browser with thr Sleeping tabs feature set to the lowest settings of 30 seconds. It helps to reduce ram and CPU usage.
Also, if your system is not slowing down or not doing any ram heavy tasks in the background, then don't bother with the ram usage.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
This is normal nowadays for modern web browsers. Mine without any tab and extension consumes 195 MB. With 8 extensions, it's 350 MB. If I visit sites, then it will increase accordingly. Some sites like youtube, facebook, reddit may consume ram more than MalwareTips for example.
You may check out MS Edge browser with thr Sleeping tabs feature set to the lowest settings of 30 seconds. It helps to reduce ram and CPU usage.
Also, if your system is not slowing down or not doing any ram heavy tasks in the background, then don't bother with the ram usage.
I've already used EDGE browser, it's light compare to Firefox. Is there any Firefox optimization tricks available??

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I've already used EDGE browser, it's light compare to Firefox. Is there any Firefox optimization tricks available??
Not that I'm aware of. Every mainstream browsers use multiprocess, sandboxing, etc. to improve security and overall performance. So this is common.
There are browsers like WaterFox, PaleMoon which are based on older Firefox/Firefox ESR versions with many security related features removed. I think they use less ram but use more CPU. So they are more power hungry and not as secure as regular Firefox. I won't recommend them.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
There are many articles I've seen on Google but confused which article is effective for optimize firefox....

Not that I'm aware of. Every mainstream browsers use multiprocess, sandboxing, etc. to improve security and overall performance. So this is common.
There are browsers like WaterFox, PaleMoon which are based on older Firefox/Firefox ESR versions with many security related features removed. I think they use less ram but use more CPU. So they are more power hungry and not as secure as regular Firefox. I won't recommend them.
Right. There are many articles about firefox optimization but I'm confused which article is effective

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
One or more tab using 400 to 650 MB+ RAM, any working way to reduce RAM usage
That's normal for a media/JS heavy webpage. 4GB RAM is like bare minimum just for running Windows OS, you need at least 8 GB to have a decent experience browsing web. There are no magic tricks that will "optimize" Firefox or Edge to use 50% less memory for a single tab. (Edge has sleeping tabs feature but that's when you are opening multiple tab)

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I have no problems with 8GB but my machine is not asked to do heavy lifting. If you game or code/develop software more RAM is advisable. Windows 11 uses more ram on idle which is just the price of "progress".

I use Windows 11 on too really old laptops with just 8 GB of ram just for the heck of it.

Though I do not use them often.

Reactions: anirbandutta01

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.