Linux distro for install alongside Windows

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Ubuntu Mate which is the best distro to install alongside Windows 10 based on my desktop configuration ?

Desktop configuration -
8 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD (installed Windows 10 Pro X64 22H2 on SSD) Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.09 GHz

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Khushal
F

ForgottenSeer 109138

Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Ubuntu Mate which is the best distro to install alongside Windows 10 based on my desktop configuration ?

Desktop configuration -
8 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD (installed Windows 10 Pro X64 22H2 on SSD) Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.09 GHz

They all require at least a dual core at 2GHz and 4GB Ram and at least a minimum of 25GB Hard drive.

This said Ubuntu and Mate usually both feel lighter the KDE, although I'm hearing KDE is becoming smoother and lighter recently. So it would depend on your uses and needs as well as your preference. It might be best to try them out as Live Linux "without installation" on flashdrive.

lokamoka820

Level 3
Mar 1, 2024
I tried them all and other Ubuntu flavors too, and from my experience I can tell the following:

Kubuntu and KDE Plasma in general the heaviest of them, it make my CPU hot faster than any other desktop environment.

Ubuntu Mate by far is the lightest between them, but if feels old compared to other two, and its development is the slowest between them, so you will not get new features with every release, it aims to continue the Gnome 2 for people who used to it and don't like to change for something new.

Ubuntu on the other hand is heavy compared to Ubuntu Mate, but I feel Gnome is way better in managing resource usage more than KDE Plasma, and here I mean usage in general not when cold boot, to make it more clearly, when you open Kubuntu it may take about 600 mb RAM but usage will be sluggish and RAM will rise fast, but with Ubuntu it will start about 1 GB, but everything will be smooth all the time, CPU usage is better in Gnome (Ubuntu) than Kubuntu (KDE Plasma) all the time.

So if you look for lightest it will be: Ubuntu Mate > Ubuntu > Kubuntu.

Personally I am in love with Gnome desktop, but you have to know it is made for shortcuts users not for mouse or touchpad, if you want to use Gnome features in a traditional way (with mouse) I recommend you check Ubuntu Budgie, it takes Gnome and make it lighter and traditional, it combines Gnome and Mate somehow and add more features with every release.

• Thanks
Reactions: anirbandutta01
A

Azazel

Desktop configuration -

Why not use Windows Subsystem for Linux?​

Reactions: Brahman

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I would suggest Fedora. It's updated more regularly and have the most up-to-date kernel and updates are mostly error free. I have faced much less issues with fedora than Ubuntu. If you want to dual boot install on two different hdd/SSD as it would not mess with efi partition of windows.

F

ForgottenSeer 109138

I would suggest Fedora. It's updated more regularly and have the most up-to-date kernel and updates are mostly error free. I have faced much less issues with fedora than Ubuntu. If you want to dual boot install on two different hdd/SSD as it would not mess with efi partition of windows.
Not only does fedora require a steep learning curve compared to Ubuntu but because it's cutting edge can require more resources, and it's not easy to install proprietary drivers, where as in Ubuntu makes this task much easier for those starting out in Linux.

lokamoka820

Level 3
Mar 1, 2024
Not only does fedora require a steep learning curve compared to Ubuntu but because it's cutting edge can require more resources, and it's not easy to install proprietary drivers, where as in Ubuntu makes this task much easier for those starting out in Linux.
I never liked Fedora for the reasons you mentioned and more, and it was the heaviest among all distros I tried, and it is not for home users.

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU
For a machine that old, of that performance class, you should take a leap of faith and install your chosen Linux onto hardware, unless that is your main PC. You are going to struggle with it in VM unless you only restrict yourself to very basic tasks like browsing.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
It doesn't. Rather I find it easier than Ubuntu. In Fedora everything works, especially the app store. Just search for "ubuntu snap store issues" and you will find unending problems with it. The only one benefiting from a default Ubuntu installation is nvidia users. For others if they have an hour to spend Fedora offers lot more with less hassles.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
I tried them all and other Ubuntu flavors too, and from my experience I can tell the following:

Kubuntu and KDE Plasma in general the heaviest of them, it make my CPU hot faster than any other desktop environment.

Ubuntu Mate by far is the lightest between them, but if feels old compared to other two, and its development is the slowest between them, so you will not get new features with every release, it aims to continue the Gnome 2 for people who used to it and don't like to change for something new.

Ubuntu on the other hand is heavy compared to Ubuntu Mate, but I feel Gnome is way better in managing resource usage more than KDE Plasma, and here I mean usage in general not when cold boot, to make it more clearly, when you open Kubuntu it may take about 600 mb RAM but usage will be sluggish and RAM will rise fast, but with Ubuntu it will start about 1 GB, but everything will be smooth all the time, CPU usage is better in Gnome (Ubuntu) than Kubuntu (KDE Plasma) all the time.

So if you look for lightest it will be: Ubuntu Mate > Ubuntu > Kubuntu.

Personally I am in love with Gnome desktop, but you have to know it is made for shortcuts users not for mouse or touchpad, if you want to use Gnome features in a traditional way (with mouse) I recommend you check Ubuntu Budgie, it takes Gnome and make it lighter and traditional, it combines Gnome and Mate somehow and add more features with every release.
So, Ubuntu MATE is lightest & better ?

lokamoka820

Level 3
Mar 1, 2024
It doesn't. Rather I find it easier than Ubuntu. In Fedora everything works, especially the app store. Just search for "ubuntu snap store issues" and you will find unending problems with it. The only one benefiting from a default Ubuntu installation is nvidia users. For others if they have an hour to spend Fedora offers lot more with less hassles.
I agree that Ubuntu have problems and it is not the best, but for a home user RPM distros are not the best, Debian based distros are more comfortable and easier to find solutions and support compared to Fedora, and if you want latest updates, Arch based distros like Manjaro way better than fedora too, but I think with Flatpack packages you can get the latest software on any distro now, so stability is more important for a distro.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I agree that Ubuntu have problems and it is not the best, but for a home user RPM distros are not the best, Debian based distros are more comfortable and easier to find solutions and support compared to Fedora, and if you want latest updates, Arch based distros like Manjaro way better than fedora too, but I think with Flatpack packages you can get the latest software on any distro now, so stability is more important for a distro.

Arch based distros like Manjaro way better than fedora
Not with stability, Arch based ones are not for beginners.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
F

ForgottenSeer 109138

As far as ease of use and hardware compatibility Ubuntu has always been better for beginners. This is to not state Fedora is not a good choice once a user becomes familiar with Linux and would want to run bleeding edge applications and OS.

When I first started with Ubuntu I generally used Synaptic Package Manager, I would install it first thing. I found most of them time, I could find packages much easier and install them this way then on Fedora which was limited on options in the Repos. This may have changed over time, but it is what I remember and why I went with Ubuntu over Fedora back then.

Reactions: lokamoka820

lokamoka820

Level 3
Mar 1, 2024
As far as ease of use and hardware compatibility Ubuntu has always been better for beginners. This is to not state Fedora is not a good choice once a user becomes familiar with Linux and would want to run bleeding edge applications and OS.

When I first started with Ubuntu I generally used Synaptic Package Manager, I would install it first thing. I found most of them time, I could find packages much easier and install them this way then on Fedora which was limited on options in the Repos. This may have changed over time, but it is what I remember and why I went with Ubuntu over Fedora back then.
This is exactly my point of view, me personally don't like Ubuntu and use it for 2 months before moving to Debian and then never look back again, all statistics shows that Debian based distros are better for beginners.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.