Advice Request Which Linux Distro is the best for dual boot

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Hello, I want to make my system dual boot with Linux distro. Which LTS distro is the best ? Linux Mint Cinnamon / Ubuntu GNOME / Fedora KDE Plasma.
How can I install Linux alongside Windows 10 ? Will it harm my SSD ?
My computer configuration is 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD (installed Windows 10 Pro X64 22H2 on SSD) Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.09 GHz. Based on my current computer configuration, which mentioned linux distro is suitable for me?
Please help me to install linux alongside windows step by step based on my current configuration ( /, root, home, swap etc. how much space required ) (currently windows is installed on my SSD, so should I install linux on SSD alongside windows?)

Please guide me. Thanks in advance. 🙏❤️

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I am interested in this too, I have an older Lenovo laptop on Windows 10 22H2, it has 6 GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive and an Intel i3 processor. I don't use that laptop very much, it's maybe 6 years old now but I have been thinking about either changing it to a Chromebook or trying to use and learn Linux on it. I was reading just last night how you can create ChromeOS on a flash drive and run it without changing Windows. I am just now getting started but I think it will be an interesting project either way. I appreciate any help on this.

C.H.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Hello, I want to make my system dual boot with Linux distro. Which LTS distro is the best ? Linux Mint Cinnamon / Ubuntu GNOME / Fedora KDE Plasma.
How can I install Linux alongside Windows 10 ? Will it harm my SSD ?
My computer configuration is 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD (installed Windows 10 Pro X64 22H2 on SSD) Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.09 GHz. Based on my current computer configuration, which mentioned linux distro is suitable for me?
Please help me to install linux alongside windows step by step based on my current configuration ( /, root, home, swap etc. how much space required ) (currently windows is installed on my SSD, so should I install linux on SSD alongside windows?)

Please guide me. Thanks in advance. 🙏❤️

Have you considered installing, maybe, Oracle's Virtual box 7.0 and running several, different, distro's virtually before deciding on dual-boot? 8Gb should be ok, just, but 128Gb SSD is pushing your luck I think, depends on Window's version/size I guess. I'm a Mac user so cant help you there.

I tried Mint Cinnamon, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu 22.04 KDE and RedHat(years ago) before deciding to go with Ubuntu Server 22.04 CLI and play with a home lab. If you're interested in going down the Cyber Security route, Kali Linux seems to be the distro to head for and is desktop.

I use my old 2011 MacBook Pro for this stuff. It's 16Gb DDR3, 500Gb SSD, Intel Core Duo i5 2.4Ghz (single processor with only two threads) and has no problems at all, a bit slow running VM's though, but Ubuntu Server screams along.

It won't harm your SSD if done properly. Tons and tons of stuff on YouTube about this, check it out if you have access.

Have fun! Its well worth the effort...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I currently have laptop with 1gb ram, Intel cpu @ 1.6ghz running Debian. Best distro i have used is either pop OS! Or Linux mint. Both are noob friendly and working out of box. I have used pop OS with dual boot.. I have found help from reddit and just googling here and there

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I really like Garuda Linux, but they do not give support, as I remember, to install it in parallel with Windows, nevertheless, if you are interested in the most modern, gaming and beautiful distro, I suggest you check it out in a virtual machine. :)

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Thanks @Gandalf, I will take a look at that soon as I can. Is Ubuntu the better distro for a noob to start out with?

C.H.
Yes, I think so, Ubuntu LTS was the first Linux distribution that I tried, Linux Mint did not work on my computer back then, but Ubuntu LTS did; it is usually among the top recommendations for Linux in general, beginners included.

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
I currently have laptop with 1gb ram, Intel cpu @ 1.6ghz running Debian. Best distro i have used is either pop OS! Or Linux mint. Both are noob friendly and working out of box. I have used pop OS with dual boot.. I have found help from reddit and just googling here and there
I agree on pop_os and Mint.

Reactions: anirbandutta01

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
IMHO opensuse has the best installer and yast can be very handy if you're a novice.
Also opensuse tumbleweed is rolling release, that means you haven't to do a whole distro upgrade every some months because everything is already up to date.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Yes, I think so, Ubuntu LTS was the first Linux distribution that I tried, Linux Mint did not work on my computer back then, but Ubuntu LTS did; it is usually among the top recommendations for Linux in general, beginners included.
Which Ubuntu varient is good? GNome or Mate? Which have near windows experience like linux mint ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.