Advice Request A good stable linux distro with Good UI?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

It is a matter of perspective is it not. If something breaks on windows, lets say a driver, you are stuck waiting for that company and or MS to send a fix up the chain. With Linux, there is a always a work around. It may require patience as you search for it, but there is always an answer. Linux requires some knowledge to finagle. It is not a set and forget operating system. There is a reason that more than 90% of the world's top 500 supercomputers run on Linux.
Agree 3x only with two remarks: That is a valid argument when you own a super computer. I also agree that there is always a workaround, only for most you have to the time and the patience to grow a beard like Metusalem. ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Agree 3x only with two remarks: That is a valid argument when you own a super computer. I also agree that there is always a workaround, only for most you have to the time and the patience to grow a beard like Metusalem. ;)
I had edited and included Servers and mainframes as well, as most of the the world rely on Linux whether they understand that or not. Ones best bet is to learn Linux in a VM on windows before transitioning. I run a Chromebook which is a simplified version of Linux, but most of the tools i use daily, i do in linux containers, which most times than not take a little finagling to get applications to function correctly in because of the containers restrictions. I still manage though and because of have isolated powerful tools to utilize.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Linux is a lottery Operating System. It works when your are lucky. I understand why it never became the dominant desktop. When windows 11 was released I discovered that my old PC was not suited for Windows11, so I tried five Linux distro's and none of them worked correctly (either problems with GPU, wifi card not recognized, sound not working or printer did not work or system started with boot errors).

Two years later my PC died and I could get exactly same hardware with a different CPU (old was i7 920 , new is Xeon 5675). Now two out of three distro's recognised everything and one distro even worked flawlessly. So for as long as lasts I am a happy Mint Cinnamon user.
Which Linux distributions did you try?

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Was some time ago, I think it was elementary, zorin, manjaro, kubuntu and a distro with the budgie desktop

Recently I tried Xubuntu (all hardware worked, but I got gpu driver error messages), Manjaro (everything worked, but could not get printer working) and Linux Mint Cinnamon (all good)
Thank you for responding @Max90, I am glad that you found a Linux distribution that is working for you.

The first time that I ever tried installing Linux, back in maybe 2007 – 2009, I tried Linux Mint, it failed to boot, so I tried Ubuntu LTS, that worked & has worked for everyone I have installed it for since.

So I usually recommend trying Ubuntu LTS first.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Thank you for responding @Max90, I am glad that you found a Linux distribution that is working for you.

The first time that I ever tried installing Linux, back in maybe 2007 – 2009, I tried Linux Mint, it failed to boot, so I tried Ubuntu LTS, that worked & has worked for everyone I have installed it for since.

So I usually recommend trying Ubuntu LTS first.
I understand that Ubuntu is the driving power for most distro's. I only had a 4GB ram stick and Ubuntu needs over 4GB to run. That is the simple reason i tried others

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

No, but thanks for the suggestion. I googled a bit and PopOS looks interesting. I might stay on Mint Cinnamon. Have to see how much trouble branded powerpoints and word documents generate with Libre Office.
Mint is quite polished and should work for your needs. KDE will be too heavy with your lack of Ram you mentioned above. I highly recommend getting familiar with the terminal if you plan to hang with Linux for awhile. Even polished distros can have issues from time to time, and learning to adjust, is priceless.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Mint is quite polished and should work for your needs. KDE will be too heavy with your lack of Ram you mentioned above. I highly recommend getting familiar with the terminal if you plan to hang with Linux for awhile. Even polished distros can have issues from time to time, and learning to adjust, is priceless.
12GB Ram = lack of RAM? :)

Yes good advice👍, I will refresh my 20 year old Unix and DOS command knowledge to fine tune a 2021 graphical Linux desktop 😏

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

12GB Ram = lack of RAM? :)

Yes good advice👍, I will refresh my 20 year old Unix and DOS command knowledge to fine tune a 2021 graphical Linux desktop 😏
I was referring to this post from you

Your attempt at Arch/manjaro which resulted in your printer not working and you moving on to another distro tells me much, as Arch is quite configurable meaning you can get just about anything working with work-arounds. Hence my advice to learn more then just basics in the terminal.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I was referring to this post from you

Your attempt at Arch/manjaro which resulted in your printer not working and you moving on to another distro tells me much, as Arch is quite configurable meaning you can get just about anything working with work-arounds. Hence my advice to learn more then just basics in the terminal.
Ah I understand the confusion, I posted 4GB ram stick, but that should have been 4GB USB stick :), Ubuntu iso download is nearly 5GB

As said thanks for the sound advice to refresh my 20 year old Unix and Dos command knowledge with linux terminal to get a 2021 graphical desktop working properly :)

1696446784565.png

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
After testing many Linux distros throughout the years, I can say that I wasn’t lucky with any of them. I always had the issues @Max90 enumerated in a previous post. I tried many workarounds and spent hours sudo-ing but it didn’t fix anything.
Perhaps the best was Intel Clear Linux where everything sort of worked with minor exceptions. The UI is not the most beautiful though.
I am more of a ChromeOS/ChromeOS Flex guy.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Ultimate Vision

Could our resident master of Linux Terminal lever his Terminal command knowledge to assist a newby in Linux to synchronize his (private use) OUTLOOK.COM AGENDA with the AGENDA of THUNDERBIRD? A nice opportunity to proof our resident master's claim that there is a always a workaround possible in LInux!

@Ultimate Vision I have already started with Introduction to Linux (so following up your advice :) )

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
After testing many Linux distros throughout the years, I can say that I wasn’t lucky with any of them. I always had the issues @Max90 enumerated in a previous post. I tried many workarounds and spent hours sudo-ing but it didn’t fix anything.
Perhaps the best was Intel Clear Linux where everything sort of worked with minor exceptions. The UI is not the most beautiful though.
I am more of a ChromeOS/ChromeOS Flex guy.
I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I like Zorin (fwiw I ran Centos for years but I do not consider myself a linux expert).

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

@Ultimate Vision

Could our resident master of Linux Terminal lever his Terminal command knowledge to assist a newby in Linux to synchronize his (private use) OUTLOOK.COM AGENDA with the AGENDA of THUNDERBIRD? A nice opportunity to proof our resident master's claim that there is a always a workaround possible in LInux!

@Ultimate Vision I have already started with Introduction to Linux (so following up your advice :) )
If you kindly look above i said and i quote " you can get just about anything working with work-arounds "

To point you in a direction to help though a work around as such, since the variables involve MS would be to look into creating a copy of the ".ics" file to transfer to thunderbird.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

If you kindly look above i said and i quote " you can get just about anything working with work-arounds "

To point you in a direction to help though a work around as such, since the variables involve MS would be to look into creating a copy of the ".ics" file to transfer to thunderbird.
That is not a sync solution 😆 Is that your best answer?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.