Solved Firefox Pop-Up Ads

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Hello everyone

Having multiple pop ups each day since a week, nothing helps.
Tried several anti-malware programs. Sometimes it seemed like the pop-up ads are gone just to be back on the next day.
Checked my installed software and deinstalled everything that seemed fishy or unnecessary.
This Win 10 installation is from Decemeber 2017 (clean install on new harddisk). No pirated software.
I attached everything asked for but I can provide more.
I have not reinstalled Firefox yet but as this malware opens Firefox when it's closed it seemed to be something else than an extension (I also checked them).

Not sure what else i can do, that's why I am here.
Hope you can help me,
Martin

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    77.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Addition.txt
    90.5 KB · Views: 94
  • hijackthis.log
    15.6 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: oldschool

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Hello, so far it is. But I haven't opened Chrome or any other browser in the last weeks.
Firefox is the only browser that got opened when closed and the only one that got new tabs when open.

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Should I do an additional Malwarebytes Scan in safe mode? I did try to scan in normal environment which led to an unresponsive or at least very slow system (as described above).

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Something was found and quarantined. Not sure if this is the solution. Will restart into normal mode now.
Had no popups in safe mode but I only have around 5 a day so it can take a while. Since yesterday the popups direct to a website that reads out loudly (!!) about a price won with a robotic voice.
It is driving me insane :D
Malwarebytes said a logfile was saved to the log folder, but I can't find it? Where it that log folder?
The attached file is what I saved afterwards by hand.

Thanks a lot for your help TwinHeadedEagle!

Attachments

• MalwarebytesResult.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 92

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Upon restarting into normal mode my system was again very slow and took ages to load the start programs (outlook, steam...)
I decided to reboot into safe mode again via msconfig.
In safe mode I am trying to deinstall Malwarebytes right now, but the Uninstall Status bar is stuck and nothing happens since 10 minutes.
Attached is a screenshot of what it looks like.
I did close Malwarebytes before uninstalling.

Any idea what I can do?

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
It took ages but it finished.
PC is now in normal mode again, quick as usual.
Please let me know if you want me to do more scans.

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Ok so two other guys who are in the same network here have the same ad popups but they are using chrome.
I have no idea if this is of any help but all three of us are still using the old Skype version. (Skype Version 7.41.0.101)

Last edited:

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
One of the guys had no pop-ups since installing the skype update.
I had no pop-ups since doing the safe mode malwarebytes scan.

We have not yet resetted the router.

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Like this:

Screenshot_72.jpg

Why was this thread marked as solved?
It's sadly not.

But my colleagues had no new pop-ups after installing the newest Skype version.
Wasn't there a case of Malware brought by Skype ads?
Is that the reason Skype is trying to push its updates on every system start?

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Infection date and initial symptoms:
Something is opening the browser (when closed) and new tabs (when open) and connecting to advertising sites

This particual one opened a tab yesterday. No pop-ups today so far.

ActionChip

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
My coworker had the same pop-ups (leading to the same pages) but were using chrome (and that's the browser that opened itself for them) while I am on Mozilla and never had another browser opening.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.