Operating System
Windows 10
Infection date and initial symptoms
Something is opening the browser (when closed) and new tabs (when open) and connecting to advertising sites, pretending to be some lottery winning or malware help sites. (of all possible sites... ;)) I can provide some of the links it opens if this helps in any way.
This started a week ago with the same pop-up ad being opened over and over. Did not seem connected to anything particular I did.
Current issues and symptoms
several pop ups every day with changing pages opening up. each day a different ad less or more.
Steps taken in order to remove the infection
- malwarebytes: made my system unresponsive, even after restarts, had to restart into safe mode and deinstalled. Might have to do with Trend Micro being installed as antivir of choice.
Used the following anti-malware scans after that: ESET Online Scanner, Super Anti Spyware, Spybot Search & Destroy and HijackThis (log attached from HijackThis)
System logs
Yes, I've uploaded the FRST.txt logs
Yes, I've uploaded both FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs
Yes and I've also uploaded logs from other scans that I've performed

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
Staff member
Verified
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    icon and select
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

• Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach report into your next reply.

ActionChip

Level 1
Has always been Firefox for me. Chrome for my colleagues.
I really believe it has to do with the old Skype Version I am using. My colleagues had similar pop-ups and they are gone since they use the newer Skype version.
Adware brought by advertising in skype ads is a thing, am i right?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool