Hot Take Mozilla Blog: Ad blocker roundup: 6 ad blockers to improve your internet experience

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Ad blockers are a specific type of browser extension (i.e. software that adds new features or functionality to Firefox). Using ad blockers, you can eliminate distraction and frustration associated with online ads popping up across your internet travels. Here are six of our favorite ad blockers that make the web a whole lot easier to enjoy.

uBlock Origin

A gold standard among ad blockers, uBlock Origin is extremely efficient at stopping all types of internet ads, including video pre-rolls and pop-ups. It works great by default, but also affords users plenty of customization options should you want to tweak your content filters.

AdBlocker Ultimate

AdBlocker Ultimate is also very capable at removing all varieties of internet ads. There are no “acceptable” ads or whitelisted advertisers. The extension also blocks many trackers and helps detect malware.

AdGuard AdBlocker

AdGuard AdBlocker is a highly effective ad blocker that works well on Facebook and YouTube. It also smartly allows certain types of ads by default, such as search ads, since those may actually be helpful to your searches, as well as “self-promotion” ads (e.g. special deals on site-specific shopping platforms like “50% off today only!” sales).

Ghostery

Block ads and most hidden browser trackers by default with Ghostery. This slick extension also scores points for being very intuitive and easy to operate. It’s simple to set Ghostery’s core features, like enabling or disabling Enhanced Ad Blocking and Anti-tracking.

Popup Blocker (strict)

Popup Blocker (strict) blocks all pop-up requests from any website by default. However, a handy notification window gives you the control to accept, reject or open pop-ups as you please.

Webmail Ad Blocker

Use Webmail Ad Blocker to clean up your web-based email by removing ads littering the inboxes of Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo Mail and more.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

When Mozilla advices AdBlockUltimate which is a very old, unmaintained fork of AdGuard, I am seriously considering to dump Firefox on my smartphone, no words for so much stupidity, picture says it all :eek::eek::eek: (taken from the AdBlockerUltimate repo on Github)
1678536487882.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am seriously considering to dump Firefox on my smartphone, no words for so much stupidity
Is this based on external factors outside of the article above? Have you tried to contact the writers of the blog post to make them aware of what you have found?

There are many other Android browsers that come with built-in ad and tracker blocking.

Reactions: oldschool

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
When Mozilla advices AdBlockUltimate which is a very old, unmaintained fork of AdGuard
It looks like they just don't update GitHub and it's quite typical for relatively open-source projects that put an outdated version out into the public access and don't update the code on the GitHub for years. The GitHub version is 3.7.15, the Firefox and chrome version is 3.7.21 (updated Jan 23, 2023). It's not good that they're still redirecting Opera to a site with extensions for Opera that has an OLD version, it would be nice to let them know that Opera has been natively supporting extensions for Chrome for a long time and there's no need to do such a redirect.

Test Ad Block - Toolz - does 100% with the default filters, although I have NextDNS enabled at the PC level, and you must keep that in mind too.

In general, I was even interested in this extension, as it is a good replacement for AdGuard from the developers in Europe, if we believe their word. :)

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.