Advice Request Firefox tab bar resizes window

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I've edited my Firefox configs so that when I double-click on a tab the tab closes. However, if I double-click on an empty area in the tab bar the firefox window resizes itself. I don't think this is related to any code mods I've done. Is there a setting to stop this behavior? It's very annoying!

2023-02-11_13h40_20.png

Reactions: SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Double clicking on the empty tab bar to resize is a default behavior of Windows AFAIK.
That's how it is in any app. If you double click on the top bar of any app (there's a better name for it, can't remember) it'll enter or exit full screen/maximize. Don't know if this behavior can be changed specially for Firefox.
I use middle mouse button to close tabs on all browsers. It's also possible to create new tab by middle clicking the empty tab bar space on Firefox after enabling that from about:config.

Reactions: show-Zi

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
But that cannot be a windows' thing, because that's not the case anyway else. Vivaldi does not do this.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Title bar?
Yeah that's it.
Oh @SeriousHoax, you thought I was referring to the title bar? I wasn't. I was referring to the tab bar, which I moved to the bottom. Specifically, the area next to it outlined in red.
Right, that's what I thought. Can you share a video/gif of this behavior to better understand it? You may use the free and open source ShareX for screen recording.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Here's a better version. For some reason, there really was only a subtle difference in the last one. This shows a drastic change.

2023-02-11_21h37_33.gif

Reactions: show-Zi

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hopefully this helps illistrate things a bit better. There is a behavioral difference between double clicking on a t ab vs the empty tab bar.

View attachment 272852
Yeah, this is what I thought initially. Even though you have moved it to the bottom, the empty space on your tab bar is still considered as the title bar of the application which is Firefox. It's a normal behavior and maybe there is no option to change this.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Yeah, this is what I thought initially. Even though you have moved it to the bottom, the empty space on your tab bar is still considered as the title bar of the application which is Firefox. It's a normal behavior and maybe there is no option to change this.

Crap. You're right. Now I need to find out how to change that behavior.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.