Advice Request Firefox Temporary Containers - How to set cookies?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have an issue especially with sign-in sites

Take example MalwareTips forums. If I sign in and later I close my browser Temporary Containers will delete its cookies. When I open the next time I need to sign in again. Very troublesome here. Temporary Containers allow cookies for the site to be saved but there's no instruction of how to save the cookies. See attached.

Can somebody advise what to fill in those blank spaces in order to save a cookie?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_180208.jpg
    IMG_20200327_180208.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20200327_180216.jpg
    IMG_20200327_180216.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 318

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Temporary Conatiners like the name suggests is temporary only. It's doing what it's supposed to do. For the thing you're trying to achieve you need the official Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension: Firefox Multi-Account Containers – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)
I use this one along with Temporary Containers and you need to change one or two settings in Temporary Containers to use it properly with the official one.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Temporary Conatiners like the name suggests is temporary only. It's doing what it's supposed to do. For the thing you're trying to achieve you need the official Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension: Firefox Multi-Account Containers – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)
I use this one along with Temporary Containers and you need to change one or two settings in Temporary Containers to use it properly with the official one.
I don't have multi accounts with FF so not using that extension.

However, if you see the screenshots for Temporary Containers I posted it does allow the setting (and whitelisting) of cookies for the site. .Just that it's not easy to fill up the blank spaces in the Cookies page.

Someone on reddit says can use Cookie AutoDelete to do it with Temporary Containers but I still haven't been able to do it........still trying.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax

I just tried using FF Multi Account Containers and it works as intended.

Thank you very much for the recommendation
Happy to help :) But you should know that, for example: If you set MalwareTips to always load on a certain container but when click on an external link from the forum, that external link will also open within this containers. This is a problem of this extension and Temporary Containers can fix this but you may have to change some settings.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Happy to help :) But you should know that, for example: If you set MalwareTips to always load on a certain container but when click on an external link from the forum, that external link will also open within this containers. This is a problem of this extension and Temporary Containers can fix this but you may have to change some settings.
I tried with Multi-Account Containers + Temporary Containers but they don't work even though I followed the below instructions

First, I open my 'Personal' account in Multi-Account Container

Then I click malwaretips.com and it opens up as a tmp container WITHOUT signing in ie. I need to sign in.

Without Temporary Containers when I click malwaretips.com it opens up already signed in.

Am I doing right?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax

The above method works for sites that requires sign in only , right? Because when I tried similarly with general websites they just opened in tmp containers.

Thanks again
It should work. But if for any sites while logging in it opens a subdomain and it's open in a temporary containers instead of your desired one then there's a setting in Temporary Containers to fix this: Isolation>> Global>> 1.png
Here you can choose when a temporary containers should be opened. For left click and middle mouse button I've set it to open only if the link I'm clicking is a different domain from the one I'm on currently. So subdomains will load in the same containers.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It should work. But if for any sites while logging in it opens a subdomain and it's open in a temporary containers instead of your desired one then there's a setting in Temporary Containers to fix this: Isolation>> Global>> View attachment 235529
Here you can choose when a temporary containers should be opened. For left click and middle mouse button I've set it to open only if the link I'm clicking is a different domain from the one I'm on currently. So subdomains will load in the same containers.

Your procedure is short of one setting and that is to set eg. Forums in 'Exclude Permanent Containers' then the link will open as a permanent container

1585461917921.png

Actually, what I meant is if I have sign-in hotmail account and also created a tab 'Email' in Multi-Account Containers as in the picture I would like it to open as 'Email' instead of tmp59 container. Similarly, I would like sign-in sites like Banking, Shopping, Social Media to open likewise with Banking, Shopping and Social Media on the address bar instead of tmp.

Anyway to do this?

1585451687698.png

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I will have to check out the exclude permanent container settings but everything works fine for me without that if you follow the tips I gave above. After doing so, for best result, first disable Temporary Containers, open a new tab for the Email container, enter your email service address eg: outlook, now set it to always open in Email container, enter your credentials, now if you have completed logging in then check once again if the current tab eg: inbox is set to load in your Email container, if yes then now you may enable Temporary Container again and outlook should now always open in your Email container instead of a Temporary one. I always follow this procedure when I add a new site to a container.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I will have to check out the exclude permanent container settings but everything works fine for me without that if you follow the tips I gave above. After doing so, for best result, first disable Temporary Containers, open a new tab for the Email container, enter your email service address eg: outlook, now set it to always open in Email container, enter your credentials, now if you have completed logging in then check once again if the current tab eg: inbox is set to load in your Email container, if yes then now you may enable Temporary Container again and outlook should now always open in your Email container instead of a Temporary one. I always follow this procedure when I add a new site to a container.
This has worked for me using both Temporary Containers and Firefox Multi-Account Containers for a while now.

This is a useful thread, HarborFront , for anyone wanting to do as you said - your privacy just went up another notch. It might seem a bit of a fiddle to some but if you truly value your privacy and security its worth it IMO. As with many new extensions and software it takes a bit of time to get your head around things but then gets easier.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You are right. Disabling Temporary Containers first solved the problem

If I click on the 2 links in the above post #8 they open into new tmp tabs. If I click on the link in post #2 it opens a new permanent tab in Forums

So these should be correct?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
If I click on the link in post #2 it opens a new permanent tab in Forums
Using Firefox when I left-click on the link in post #2 (Multi-Account Containers) a new page opens in the same type of Multi-Account Container as this one is open in.

If I right-click on the same link I get options to open it in other container types.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If I click on the 2 links in the above post #8 they open into new tmp tabs. If I click on the link in post #2 it opens a new permanent tab in Forums
The link in the post 2 is the Firefox add-on store link and container extensions don't work for the addon sites only. So it's normal if it opens in the same container. For other external links, a temporary conatiners should be opened.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have a problem with FF Multi-Account Containers

Before formatting my Laptop

Using FF I exported the bookmarks as html file

After formatting the Laptop

I import the html bookmark file and realized that only those in the Temporary Containers are listed. Those which were saved to the FF Multi-Account Containers previously are not there even though I have the FF Multi-Account Containers extension installed. In short, I lost all the saved bookmarks in the FF Multi-Account Containers

In Brave when I export the html bookmark file it saved the folders and bookmarks of each folder. And upon import the folders and bookmarks were reinstated to their original locations.

There should be a way to save the settings in the FF Multi-Account Containers. Any help to avoid this for FF in the future? Thanks

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.