Not open for further replies.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I've just reinstalled Firefox having not used it for several years and I'm getting this message when I try to connect to a lot of sites, including MalwareTips. Chrome connects to them with no problem.

This is the whole message, in this case for MalwareTips, but It's the same for a lot of sites.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of malwaretips.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

malwaretips.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Clearly there's nothing wrong with MalwareTips because I get this message with many popular sites , but I don't know what's causing the problem. I've done a number of things as suggested to other people with this issue such as refresh Firefox, uncheck Hardware Acceleration, delete the cert8 file, and disable my antivirus and firewall, but I still get the same Firefox message, so any help would really be appreciated.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

I've just returned to Firefox and I'm getting this message when I try to connect to a lot of sites, including MalwareTips. Chrome connects to them with no problem.

This is the whole message, in this case for MalwareTips, but It's the same for a lot of sites.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of malwaretips.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

malwaretips.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Clearly there's nothing wrong with MalwareTips because I get this message with many popular sites , but I don't know what's causing the problem. I've done a number of things as suggested to other people with this issue such as refresh Firefox, uncheck Hardware Acceleration, delete the cert8 file, and disable my antivirus and firewall, but I still get the same Firefox message, so any help would really be appreciated.
Can you upload a screenshot, maybe a malicous extension.

Reactions: uninfected1
D

Deleted member 2913

The prob can happen on Firefox with any products that installs their own certificates to scan/filter HTTPS connections.

I have noticed this with Eset, Kaspersky, Avast & AdGuard especially AdGuard...And on Firefox only & especially portable Firefox...didn't noticed with IE, Chrome & Vivaldi Portable.

Reactions: uninfected1

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.