Not open for further replies.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

I just installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 since I won a one year key for it. When I restarted the computer and I noticed it came up that it blocked a port, so I carried on and tried to get on the internet when I realized that my internet wasn't working. I found it strange so I checked my phone and sure enough the internet wasn't down. So I decided to see if BD was the problem. So I opened up BD and turned off the firewall. The internet connection then works fine again. So I then go into the firewall settings and noticed that stealth mode was turned on. So I tried turning it off and sure enough the internet worked fine with the firewall mode on and stealth mode off. It doesn't work however when stealth mode is turned on. I am not sure what stealth mode even does. Does anyone know why it's blocking my connection when it's turned on?

I use a wireless connection.

D

Deleted member 178

"Stealth Mode" is a placebo features of some FWs, its purpose was to "hide" your machine from attackers so when they ping/portscan your IP adress, they supposed to not see your computer, it is supposed to be "invisible".

When attackers do a ping/portscan, they send packets that will check if a machine is connected in that IP adress range has some open ports; if no machines are connected, they get a response stating that the packets were unable to reach a host.

There is the problem, when you "hide" a machine via "stealth port" you don't have the response because the packets, indeed found a connected machine.

Even the beginner hacker can identify that at this IP adress a machine is stealthed making this feature totally useless....

in your case maybe the router have to connect to a visible machine to allow the internet connection.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
"Stealth Mode" is a placebo features of some FWs, its purpose was to "hide" your machine from attackers so when they ping/portscan your IP adress, they supposed to not see your computer, it is supposed to be "invisible".

When attackers do a ping/portscan, they send packets that will check if a machine is connected in that IP adress range has some open ports; if no machines are connected, they get a response stating that the packets were unable to reach a host.

There is the problem, when you "hide" a machine via "stealth port" you don't have the response because the packets, indeed found a connected machine.

Even the beginner hacker can identify that at this IP adress a machine is stealthed making this feature totally useless....

in your case maybe the router have to connect to a visible machine to allow the internet connection.
Hello,

Thank you! I won't bother with that feature then haha. I remember having it turned on in COMODO firewall and my connection didn't stop working. Strange that Bitdefender started blocking it on me

ONT209

Level 1
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
Which port was blocked by Bitdefender? Any snapshot of that detection? Bitdefender has a issue that sometimes it falsely block the primary and secondary DNS Servers because of Port Scan Attempt.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
ONT209 said:
Which port was blocked by Bitdefender? Any snapshot of that detection? Bitdefender has a issue that sometimes it falsely block the primary and secondary DNS Servers because of Port Scan Attempt.

I got frustrated with Bitdefender and uninstalled it. It's unreal how bad the software is. Tons of bugs, only thing it got going for it is it's high detection rates. I don't think it gave a port name. Every now and then it just pop up saying a harmful port was blocked and stuff. When I first restarted after installing it decided to completely disable the internet on me. Never going back to it after all the trouble it gave me.

Oh it also gave me errors with it's uninstaller, so had to use the removal tool.

robin hood

Level 4
Verified
Dec 12, 2012
BitDefender is top product 2013 for many world av-site.Ranked is 1-st.How to setup firewall to be stronger?

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
robin said:
BitDefender is top product 2013 for many world av-site.Ranked is 1-st.How to setup firewall to be stronger?

In my opinion it's just terrible. It only has good detection rates which is good but not good enough when the rest of the product doesn't seem to function properly. I don't know how to set up the firewall. Someone else could maybe answer that or you could ask in the Bitdefender section or even on there official website.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
dont even bother with bitdefender's built-in firewall. disable it permanently and use windows firewall or comodo.
their FW is BS!

robin hood

Level 4
Verified
Dec 12, 2012
Malware Man said:
robin said:

In my opinion it's just terrible. It only has good detection rates which is good but not good enough when the rest of the product doesn't seem to function properly. I don't know how to set up the firewall. Someone else could maybe answer that or you could ask in the Bitdefender section or even on there official website.

Who is your choice of these:
1.Avira fee +private firewall
2.Avast8 free+private firewall
3.BitdefenderFree+private firewall
4.BitDefender avPlus + private firewall
5.AVG Free + private firewall
6.Your combination of the free AV and firewall....

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
There are many things to consider when choosing an AV + firewall setup.

1. Do you want a simple solution that requires very little maintenance or a full featured solution with a lot of features to tweak that needs constant maintenance?

2. Do you follow the guidelines when downloading files or surfing the web?

3. Do you already have a router with a firewall?

4. Do you know how to use UAC effectively and know how to avoid running files without digital signatures?

5. Is your system able to handle a more heavy setup or do you need a light setup?

6. Do you use a secure browser with security add-ones?

7. Do you always keep your software updated?

8. Do you always make sure that you have installed all of the latest Windows Updates?

9. Do you connect unknown devices to your system?

10. Are you the only person that uses your system or do you let others use it as well?

Security setups are different for everyone's needs, some users can simply use MSE, Windows Firewall and UAC and never get infections while other users may need something more powerful because of their own actions.

It is trial and error you will have to go through to find something that works the best for yourself. However I do recommend to use something else besides BitDefender, it just has too many bugs and they take forever to fit them.

Enjoy!!:D

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
robin said:
Malware Man said:
robin said:

Who is your choice of these:
1.Avira fee +private firewall
2.Avast8 free+private firewall
3.BitdefenderFree+private firewall
4.BitDefender avPlus + private firewall
5.AVG Free + private firewall
6.Your combination of the free AV and firewall....
6. Avast! 8 free + CFW

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.