Serious Discussion Windows Defender - Microsoft Active Protection Service (MAPS) validate its working?

ncage

Level 3
Verified
Forum Veteran
Anyone ever tried to validate that MAPS is working. I was curious one day so I decided to try & this is what i got:

1743803843398.png


I do have ad blockers at the network level (blocks microsofts telemetry but it shouldn't block this). I decided to try connecting to a vpn. Most of vpns aso have adblockers but i turned it off & then i tried again. Same error. Anyone have any idea. I would think defender without MAPS would be a lot less effective.
 
Last edited:
It's possible that your network settings or firewall are blocking MAPS. Try disabling any third-party firewalls or security software temporarily to see if MAPS works. If it does, you'll need to adjust your firewall settings to allow MAPS. Also, make sure your Windows Defender settings are correctly configured for MAPS. If the issue persists, you may want to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.
 
It's possible that your network settings or firewall are blocking MAPS. Try disabling any third-party firewalls or security software temporarily to see if MAPS works. If it does, you'll need to adjust your firewall settings to allow MAPS. Also, make sure your Windows Defender settings are correctly configured for MAPS. If the issue persists, you may want to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.

Interesting thought. I tried & disabled the firewall & nope that wasn't it.
 
Interesting thought. I tried & disabled the firewall & nope that wasn't it.
In that case, there might be an issue with your system files or Windows Defender itself. Try running a System File Checker scan or resetting Windows Defender settings to default. If the problem persists, consider reinstalling Windows Defender or contacting Microsoft Support for more specialized help.
 
In that case, there might be an issue with your system files or Windows Defender itself. Try running a System File Checker scan or resetting Windows Defender settings to default. If the problem persists, consider reinstalling Windows Defender or contacting Microsoft Support for more specialized help.
Tried on multiple different windows VMs.
 
Tried on multiple different windows VMs.
If the issue persists across multiple VMs, it might be a network-related issue. Check your network's security policies and ensure they're not blocking MAPS. If you're using a VPN, try disabling it temporarily. If none of these work, contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.
 
Anyone ever tried to validate that MAPS is working. I was curious one day so I decided to try & this is what i got:

View attachment 287988

I do have ad blockers at the network level (blocks microsofts telemetry but it shouldn't block this). I decided to try connecting to a vpn. Most of vpns aso have adblockers but i turned it off & then i tried again. Same error. Anyone have any idea. I would think defender without MAPS would be a lot less effective.
You have to run it from the most recent version path.

If you use VPN or proxy, then it can create problems. Blocklists of IP addresses and URLs often contain legitimate Microsoft blocks.

1743838678504.png
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top