FirewallHardening tool

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Hi Andy,
This is the first time I met a small problem with one of your excellent apps.
After I upgraded from W. 10 Pro to W. 11 Pro, FirewallHardening 2.1.1.1 doesn't recognize Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I reinstalled Adobe but that didn't help. FirewallHardening shows next popup. Thanks in advance for your support.
PS: besides FirewallHardening I only use ConfigureDefender.

1657024488943.jpeg

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi Andy,
This is the first time I met a small problem with one of your excellent apps.
After I upgraded from W. 10 Pro to W. 11 Pro, FirewallHardening 2.1.1.1 doesn't recognize Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I reinstalled Adobe but that didn't help. FirewallHardening shows next popup. Thanks in advance for your support.
PS: besides FirewallHardening I only use ConfigureDefender.

View attachment 267875
The new versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC use a different installation. I corrected this in the new FirewallHardening version 3.0.0.0 (will be published soon). But, you can easily block Adobe Reader by using the <Add Rule> button, navigating to the installation folder, and choosing Acrobat.exe. The full path should be like this:
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

zvaigzne

Apr 5, 2016
FirewallHardening ver. 3.0.0.0

As usual, the new version of the FirewallHardening tool is included in the H_C_HardeningTools:

Improved the detection of Adobe Acrobat executables, removed some minor bugs, and added a new certificate.
Hi Andy, I have a question. I used Firewall Tool to add recommended rules, but I can't see them in Malwarebytes' Windows Firewall Control. Does this rule still work?

1chaoticadult

Level 2
Verified
Jul 29, 2013
Hi Andy, I have a question. I used Firewall Tool to add recommended rules, but I can't see them in Malwarebytes' Windows Firewall Control. Does this rule still work?
Windows Firewall Control can't see the rules. But if you go into advanced settings of Windows Defender Firewall they will show up there and are still in effect. I think Andy Ful said no third party firewall/Windows Firewall control app can see his FirewallHardening Rules.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
WFC and FirewallHardening work independently. WFC cannot see the rules applied on Windows Firewall via Windows Policies.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hey @Andy Ful I am still in love with this tool. Are you still planning on pushing updates to the blocklist in the future if needed? Hope you're having a wonderful christmas time 🎄
☺️
Yes, but the updates will include the LOLBins used to call home in the wild. In the next update a plan to add consent.exe. If anyone has some propositions I can look at them.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
They're both listed in the Windows Firewall Advanced Settings window but they don't show in WFC Rules list.

Having experimented with WFC Installed, any rules I manually create show up in the WFC interface but the imported rules from WFH doesn't show there probably becauase they are applied differently. The rules in the Windows Firewall Advance Settings are respected as long as there isn't a allow rule applied by WFC so kind of work together but not explicitly.

EDIT: There isn't a easy workaround for importing the rules to WFC as exporting from WFH is a simple block text list as opposed to a .wpw file which WFC imports as. I say use one or the other and with me having CyberLock/Voodoo creating firewall rules for unsafe applications, I'd probably be safe enough with WFH and CL/VS but WFC will prompt for every connection there isn't a rule for.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I get it, ie, don't run WFC with Firewallhardening. Will not even try. That's why I asked... :whistle:

It is not as bad. They can work together but the rules from FH cannot be managed from WFC, and vice versa. Such a setup will be probably inconvenient.
The FH rules override the WFC rules.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.