First Firefox 7 Beta Promises Dramatically Lower Memory Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

if i want the same boolean for ff6, should i spell it like this ? : extensions.checkCompatibility.firefox

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
When I used Firefox 5.0 I used this extensions.checkCompatibility.5.0
So for 6.0 change it to extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0 and tell me if it works or not.

D

Deleted member 178

Nightly dont show me some RAM improvement compared to FF6 , so i switched back to the latest. the boolean works.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also Firefox will also become less usage in memory once it was idle too. Good analysis MrXidus so its shows that FF patch memory consumption was working well.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Shadow Death said:
To be honest, I don't think Firefox has ever had a memory issue. "Firefox uses 100-200MB of ram"... woo... 100-200MB out of how many gigs of ram?
Got 4GB RAM.....so I have to agree with you. The Ram Usage wasn't a problem for me......The RAM Usage will increase once the users will start adding plugins .... Right now I'm using 5 add ons on Chrome which take around 60MB to run and to be fair I had never even monitor how much they are using because...well.... I have 4 GB RAM:p . As long as everything is working fine I see no major if the browser is using 100 or 200 MB of ram to run.
The Ram Usage wasn't really a issue for Firefox,the main problem for Mozilla is that Google is building an entire world around Chrome....eg : Chrome Web Store...Did you check it out lately? They've got a ton of stuff.. And what is Mozilla doing? ... Well.....they are trying to lower the memory usage from 100 to 150.... pathetic...

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    40 KB · Views: 496

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
if i want the same boolean for ff6, should i spell it like this ? : extensions.checkCompatibility.firefox

According to this info on the setting extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0 might work and there is also an addon that can change that setting for you (Add-on Compatibility Reporter). However you should also consider the following:
This is useful if you are using alpha, beta or nightly (development) builds which Add-on authors do not yet support. However, enabling incompatible extensions may cause crashes or other malfunctions.

Another thing you could do is download and "hack" the extensions that do not work -> see point 2 in this article

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
However you should also consider the following:
This is useful if you are using alpha, beta or nightly (development) builds which Add-on authors do not yet support. However, enabling incompatible extensions may cause crashes or other malfunctions.

Yep. It's always a good idea to disable all add-ons but one when you're testing compatibility for this reason.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I tried this at the moment just to make trafficlight worked, and this is good as temporary band aid solution since its not yet updated.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Jack said:
what is Mozilla doing? ... Well.....they are trying to lower the memory usage from 100 to 150.... pathetic...

Which they have successfully done.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since Firefox as only one process (exclude plugin-container) and can consume high RAM yet that's the right path on lowering the memory usage.Unlike chrome it have a multiprocesses that can equalized the consume of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.