Five Great VPN Services To Download For Free Today

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Online privacy is a bigger concern today than ever before. Find out why VPNs can help, plus our five great VPN recommendations.
The need for greater online privacy is leading many people to start using a virtual private network (VPN) when browsing the internet. However, it can be tricky to know which ones are worth using.

Online privacy and security is becoming an increasingly hot topic as we begin our journey through 2018. Ad-blocking software is becoming an auto-install for many people when setting up new devices, the United States’ government is eliminating net neutrality in the country, and rarely a month goes by without news of a large scale cyber-attack. All these factors are leading more and more people to become increasingly aware of how their online activity is monitored, and how their data can be controlled, censored, analysed, stolen, or sold for the benefit of governments, criminals, and corporations.

VPN’s however, can give users a higher level of control on the security and privacy of their online activity. While still not 100% anonymous, VPN’s can increase a user’s privacy to an optimised level. The technology can protect your identity from government, hackers, and other organisations you may not wish to have full access to your online activity, such as an employer.

A VPN can also allow you to sidestep an attempt by your internet service provider (ISP) to throttle your internet speeds. Some users report a tripling of their streaming speeds when using a VPN on American ISP Verizon’s network – certainly something to think about given the proposed changes to net neutrality in that part of the world.

There are many, many VPN services available to choose from – both paid and free – but it can be a minefield to know which are worthy of your time. Here are five great VPN services we recommend which you can download right now for free.

#1 TunnelBear

TunnelBear has a somewhat light-hearted design, but you shouldn’t take that to mean it offers any less protection. It’s easy to set up and well-suited to novice VPN users looking for a little extra protection. It has a free – and subscription-based model – with the free version limiting you to only 500mb of browsing data each month – although this can be boosted by promoting the service on Twitter.

TunnelBear provides a 128bit OpenVPN connection, and uses IPSec on iOS devices.

Key features include:

• Private browsing – secures your data and hide your IP address.
  • Tracker blocking – blocks website trackers, including ads, analytics, scripts, and social buttons.
  • Bypass country censorship – allows access to blocked or censored websites.
Premium plans start at $4.16 a month, and gives unlimited data on up to five devices.

#2 HotSpot Shield

HotSpot Shield is a robust, easy-to-use, and feature-packed VPN, and will give you 500mb of browsing data on up to five devices for free.

Key features include:

• Website unblocking – Enables access to restricted or censored sites.
  • IP address protection – Prevent hackers and spammers from monitoring your online activities.
  • Anonymous web surfing – Enables you to browse without being tracked or spied on.
  • WiFi security feature – Offers extra protection when using insecure WiFi hotspots.
  • Web session security – Secures your data, online shopping, and personal information online with HTTPS encryption.
  • Complete malware protection.
The paid version starts at $5.99 per month and will give you unlimited data and the option to select one of 25 countries to tether your connection to – the free version chooses for you. There’s also a separate version available for Mac users.

#3 ZenMate

ZenMate is a lightweight browser extension for Google Chrome which offers many of the features of a full VPN software solution. There’s no sign-up, and simply by handing over your email address you get a secure and private browsing service.

Once installed, a discrete green light in your browser informs that you’re protected. Browser traffic is routed through Switzerland by default, but the extension has options for Hong Kong, UK, US, and German proxies.

If you want faster speeds, more locations to choose from, and access to ZenMate’s Desktop Defender software, premium options start at £4.16 per month.

#4 Avira Phantom VPN

Brought to you by the same creators as the highly-rated and free antivirus software, Avira Phantom VPN provides the same solid service you’ve come to expect.

The free version gives you 500mb of browsing data per month across all your devices – both desktop and mobile – and a load of great features including:

• Traffic encryption
  • Private surfing
  • Access to geo-restricted sites
  • DNS leak prevention
  • Auto-connect VPN for WiFi networks
Prices for the premium version begin at £4.30 per month which gives you unlimited data, and adds a fail-safe feature – which cuts the internet connection if the VPN drops off – and tech support.

#5 Radmin VPN

Radmin VPN is truly an excellent piece of VPN software. Easy to set up and lightweight, Radmin VPN is suitable for IT professionals and amateurs alike. Aside from the usual features you’d expect from a VPN service, Radmin VPN has a few surprises up its sleeve.

• High speed connection – up to 100Mbp/s.
  • No user limit – meaning whether its for business or leisure, you can collaborate with others exactly as if you were connected via LAN.
  • Perfect for gamers.
The best thing about Radmin VPN, however, is that the service is 100% free. There’s no premium version and no features are restricted or locked-off behind a paywall. The software you install is the full package. Of course, the lack of cost would be irrelevant if the software was also lacking – but with Radmin VPN this couldn’t be further from the case.

Final Thoughts
VPNs are a relatively new concept as far as the average internet user is concerned. However, as the internet becomes even more deeply ingrained in our everyday lives, we can expect to see VPN services such as the five present here become more ubiquitous.

Data is a valuable commodity, and it’s important to do whatever you can to protect yours when using the internet. Whether it’s corporations, governments, or criminals whose activities give you greatest concerns, a solid VPN servicecan go a long way towards allaying them.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Winscribe is very good with 10GB per month, or ocassionally 60GB free. They seem to offer a good service.

The VPN integrated within the Opera browser is free and very fast also. Its not a fully fledged VPN as it only encrypts traffic within the browser, but it is still pretty effective and fools websites into thinking you are based elsewhere.

mike6688

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
I've been using a lifetime licence for Windscribe during the last month or so. I got a lifetime licence from a giveaway here on MalwareTips but you can get 10GB for free as mentioned above. It is one of the best VPNs I've used and have not had any trouble with using it.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
How "trustworthy" are free VPN services? How can they generate income or sustain themselves (apart from the paid versions of the software) to offer a free service? I can only think on ads, to which i must think on info collection based on user browsing/experience to display better ads. This is no way secure, so i must ask: Anybody knows how they actually make it?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Winscribe is very good with 10GB per month, or ocassionally 60GB free. They seem to offer a good service.

The VPN integrated within the Opera browser is free and very fast also. Its not a fully fledged VPN as it only encrypts traffic within the browser, but it is still pretty effective and fools websites into thinking you are based elsewhere.

@crezz what makes you say its not a "Fully fledged VPN"? They have a desktop VPN client, clients for phones, Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Amazon FireTV, Nvidia Shield, KODI, DD-WRT for your router, tomato for your router, configurations for your router, runs on OpenVPN, IKEv2, SOCKS5. Full fledge IP kill switch, plus all of these options for the web browsers:

upload_2018-1-12_22-26-2.png

upload_2018-1-12_22-27-26.png

Proxy settings are available too. Personally, I feel as though this is a full fledge VPN. Yes, I'm a premium user; however, you get all of this content with the free version as well. I configured Windscribe to run on my router quite easily and didn't have to use DD-WRT, Tomato or a pre-configured router.

I would recommend using FREE

1) Windscribe VPN
2) ProtonVPN

@HarborFront These are the only two that I would recommend as well. Both are solid and have never leaked my true IP address. Having the double VPN with Windscribe is amazing - using both the browser and the client side VPN. I perform a triple hop with my router, computer, and web browser. Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid at times; however, one cannot take security too seriously!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront These are the only two that I would recommend as well. Both are solid and have never leaked my true IP address. Having the double VPN with Windscribe is amazing - using both the browser and the client side VPN. I perform a triple hop with my router, computer, and web browser. Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid at times; however, one cannot take security too seriously!
However, you cannot use Windscribe double-hop VPN if you use a browser which does NOT support extensions like Brave, Epic Privacy browsers

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
However, you cannot use Windscribe double-hop VPN if you use a browser which does NOT support extensions like Brave, Epic Privacy browsers

@HarborFront this is true. However, a lot of other VPN providers do not have a double-hop option at all nor offer extensions for lots of browsers as well. This is a good point though. Firefox is great once one adds a few great extensions to it to ensure things are locked down air tight.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
I don`t know how others will do but i would avoid all "free" VPNs, there is nothing really free nowadays, let`s be honest, everything has its price and all that is free will cost us more later.

Erika

Level 1
Sep 25, 2017
I am using IPVanish which is paid because I don't rely on free VPN and no one suggest to use free VPN.

Reactions: frogboy

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Currently I use Avira Phantom VPN, I'm liking, fast and secure connection.

I tested several VPN trial and free versions. I liked Avira Phantom and Windscribe best, but their free plans did not offer enough bandwidth for a month based on my use, so I had to select a paid version. Windscribe offered me a one year deal on Windscribe Pro that I couldn't refuse, and I am really liking it.

But since I use Avira Pro for my AV, I may consider getting their bundle that includes the Phantom VPN at some point though, if I can get a deal!

Reactions: Faybert

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I tested several VPN trial and free versions. I liked Avira Phantom and Windscribe best, but their free plans did not offer enough bandwidth for a month based on my use, so I had to select a paid version. Windscribe offered me a one year deal on Windscribe Pro that I couldn't refuse, and I am really liking it.

But since I use Avira Pro for my AV, I may consider getting their bundle that includes the Phantom VPN at some point though, if I can get a deal!
Yes, I use the free version for my tests with AV, the data usage is little, so for me no problem, for navigation I have a 1 year license Avira Phantom and I also use the Opera VPN (y)

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
I used Opera VPN, but after the changes they made in version 50xxx now it became totally useless (1,5 mbps speed!)
So I switched to Windscribe free which works perfectly. Another great free vpn is Avira Phantom, the google's extension has full speed and unlimited bandwidth.

Aug 26, 2017
I would recommend using ExpressVPN and ProtonVPN. If you care a lot about privacy then i would also recommend Multiloginapp and use stealthfox

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.