Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Morning All....

Yesterday I decided to disable adobe flash player within Google Chrome, and remove the system program. Why? I think it's a very unsafe program, with many experts calling for the end of flash.

Is it okay to remove it from the Windows system/any possible side-effects?

Tony.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
currently we are still hostages of Flash, many websites still use flash. while the revolution takes place, HTML5 is not yet widespread.
I recommend using flash for those who need and recommend to let him always up to date.

D

Deleted member 21043

Hello @Tony Cole,

You can freely uninstall Adobe Flash, however depending on the browser you are using, websites which require Flash to be installed on the system (since they'd use it), will incorrectly work.

Even if you uninstall Adobe Flash, some software has it integrated by default. For example, Google Chrome has Adobe Flash built in, so the user would not have to install it if they did not already have it for websites using Flash to function correctly. If you are using a browser like Google Chrome (browsers based on Chromium), then please bear that to the side, that they may have Flash Player integrated anyway, regardless of your uninstallation.

To check if your browser has Adobe Flash Player built in by default, visit a website which makes use of Adobe Flash Player and if the website functions correctly as it normally would, then you'll see that it's integrated into the browser, meaning it will work fine even with the desktop version uninstalled off your system.

If you do happen to be using Google Chrome (which I know for a fact has Flash built-in by default, although other chromium-based browsers may not) and wish to uninstall it, Google have a support page here which contains the solution to disabling it: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/108086?hl=en-GB

These days, a lot of websites are porting over to HTML5. YouTube for example, the service owned by Google, has had a HTML5 player for a long time for people who wish to use it over the Flash version (and for people without a browser which incorporates Adobe Flash or who do not have it installed on their system).

Honestly, in the near future, I would expect at least most of the websites you'd want to use, using HTML5... So as long as the websites you'd normally use work fine, there shouldn't be an issue (although of course if they have e.g. a video player, if it was using Flash and you do not have it, it wouldn't work, so in this case you could try an alternative if you can find a good one, although I highly doubt any alternative you will find will be as superior as Flash is).

I understand why you may have uninstalled Adobe Flash off your system... One for starters, is potentially due to the exploits being created on a regular basis for it? If you have other software such as Java, please remember that this also is another big target. An exploit is when a vulnerability is used in a program. (malicious software rings a bell there). Any software can be exploited, since nothing is full proof. Therefore, if you decided to uninstall Flash due to all the vulnerabilities found on a regular basis, just remember that all software can be vulnerable to exploits (zero-day), even your security software installed on your system (and features in the Windows Operating System have also had vulnerabilities found by researchers, it even happens nowadays).

If this was not the main reason as to why you uninstalled it, would you be able to let me know why? :) (if it was the reason, check the spoiler below).

If exploits was the reason behind why you uninstalled Flash, then see the comments I've left below in this spoiler:

1). Keep your Flash updated at all times to help evade being affected by exploits. If an exploit is found for Flash (vulnerability used) and then Adobe patch it, it would result in an update. Therefore, keeping Flash updated will help evade being affected by exploits. Unless you are attacked by a zero-day exploit which isn't patched yet (hence zero-day).

2). Try using an Anti-Exploit security software, I hear Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is good, although I cannot comment further on it regarding exploit protection. Another alternative to that to look into could be HitmanPro.Alert.

If anyone feels I have written something incorrect then please feel free to correct me, however as far as I am aware, software like Google Chrome (chromium based browsers especially), integrate Adobe Flash Player.

Cheers. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I understand your concern for the Flash, well still up to your decision; if you are going to dismissed on the most habits to watch videos or browse on intensive websites animation then that's fine.

But for sure its like Google, you cannot leave that easily because again a must software/ tool/ way to make your life easier. ;)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Morning All....

Yesterday I decided to disable adobe flash player within Google Chrome, and remove the system program. Why? I think it's a very unsafe program, with many experts calling for the end of flash.

Is it okay to remove it from the Windows system/any possible side-effects?

Tony.

Unable to watch graphic images move on screen without it or HTML5.

What I sometimes do is use the Opera browser, set to "Turbo mode", it disables the flash for you, and just CLICK to activate the adobe flash when needed.

It doesn't auto-play the video or graphic. :)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
My recommendation is to not uninstall it as a regular-heavy internet user WILL need it. Exploits in Flash aren't hard to avoid/prevent.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Majority of websites still use Flash and other outdated technology. Personally I have bookmarks that links to Adobe current version page and I check it every two or three days so I can update it when needed. Until HTML5 is widespread, Flash is thing that you need to tolerate if you want websites to work properly.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Another helpful link is Qualys BrowserCheck, where you can install plugin and check your system from time to time if it is updated or not.
https://community.qualys.com/docs/DOC-1542
https://browsercheck.qualys.com/https://community.qualys.com/docs/DOC-1542

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I need flash to play some of the online gaming content.There is no way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.