Flash Player finally gets automatic updates

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
ZOU1 said:
@bo.elam

Control Panel>Flash Player>Advanced Tab>NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES

Even with that option selected (during installation), the app still had a task scheduled to check for updates hourly on two XP machines I installed on.

When I had checked the advanced tab via Control Panel it showed that the option to never check for updates had already been selected.

So the bottom line, (at least on our two XP Pro SP3 machines), is that Adobe activates the updater regardless of your choice and you may have to disable the service and delete the task amongst other available measures.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
ZOU1 said:
@bo.elam

Control Panel>Flash Player>Advanced Tab>NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES

Is that what you want?

You might try MSCONFIG>Startup or Services.

If all else fails, utilize "Autoruns"
I was letting Prootect know that installers with nothing bundled with are available, at the link I posted.

Checking "never check for updates" doesn't help. Shame on Adobe. Doing as suggested by Littlebits and Blues keeps the updater off.

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Advantage for Linux is that you can download the plugin and manually install it so no any adware bundled.

For Windows I assumed most of the users have a bundled adware on their system from now since the newly Flash Player implemented.

V

Vextor

The reason behind this is obvious. Flash are adding in Premium features, but if people don't update they won't have to pay, and Adobe makes less money.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
5 Hours ago I decided to check update for the latest version and I've set it to notify updates when available.

Spotted from services but its ok for me, glad no bundled software installed.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
malwarekiller said:
I hate this....it creates a service in win 7 now...what the ****

Oh no! That's terrible! /sarc

osLPi.gif

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
When Adobe makes their software more *what's the word*, everyone complains.

Chrome users need not worry.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Flash Player was designed for IE and non-IE type.

For Chrome the integrated built in Flash Player is fine, cause adding the flash player from the installer result for a crash plugin on Chrome. And since every new version of Chrome came, also the Flash Player came with the latest version too.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
Oh no! That's terrible! /sarc
http://i.imgur.com/osLPi.gif

That is what I have done and no pop-up has come up.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.