Advice Request Flipper Zero - Is it worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
So recently I've been hearing about this little cybersecurity tool called the Flipper Zero, and it promises to do many things such as read RFID, NFC, etc. I have been hearing this specifically from TikTok, and I know that mostly everything on there is fake. I did some research myself and it looked pretty promising and it struck my interest. What are scenarios that it would be useful for? Is it worth the money?

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 77194

I don't know if it's legit but if it becomes mainstream, I'll shred all my IoT devices.

F

ForgottenSeer 77194

So recently I've been hearing about this little cybersecurity tool called the Flipper Zero, and it promises to do many things such as read RFID, NFC, etc. I have been hearing this specifically from TikTok, and I know that mostly everything on there is fake. I did some research myself and it looked pretty promising and it struck my interest. What are scenarios that it would be useful for? Is it worth the money?
I suggest waiting until it is released and "experts" do a review on it. In the meantime check social media and opinions from users.
1665062113500.png

It seems too good to be true.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Resellers on eBay are selling them anywhere between $500 to $4000+

Original Kickstarter (goal reached, ended) - Link
Flipper Blog - Link
Flipper Hardware design - Link

US Customs seizure

Other uses:

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A Device to Turn Traffic Lights Green
Here’s a story about a hacker who reprogrammed a device called “Flipper Zero” to mimic Opticom transmitters—to turn traffic lights in his path green. As mentioned earlier, the Flipper Zero has a built-in sub-GHz radio that lets the device receive data (or transmit it, with the right firmware in approved regions) on the same wireless frequencies as keyfobs and other devices. Most traffic preemption devices intended for emergency traffic redirection don’t actually transmit signals over RF. Instead, they use optical technology to beam infrared light from vehicles to static receivers mounted on traffic light poles.Perhaps the most well-known branding for these types of devices is called Opticom. Essentially, the tech works by detecting a specific pattern of infrared light emitted by the Mobile Infrared Transmitter (MIRT) installed in a police car, fire truck, or ambulance when the MIRT is switched on.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The Flipper Zero is a versatile tool that can be used for various security-related scenarios. Some examples include analyzing and copying RFID and NFC data, testing the physical security of locks and fences, and even learning how to hack electronic devices such as smart homes and vehicles. Additionally, the Flipper Zero has features such as a signal generator and a logic analyzer that can be used for other technical tasks.

As for the question of whether it's worth the money, that really depends on your individual needs and interests. The Flipper Zero is not a cheap device, but for those who are deeply interested in cybersecurity and technical tinkering, it may be worth the investment. However, if you are a casual user who doesn't need or understand the advanced features offered by the Flipper Zero, it may not be worth the cost. Ultimately, you should carefully consider your own needs and interests, as well as do further research and read reviews, before making a decision on whether the Flipper Zero is right for you.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Update
Amazon has banned the sale of the Flipper Zero portable multi-tool for pen-testers as it no longer allows its sale on the platform after tagging it as a card-skimming device.

Flipper Devices' CEO Pavel Zhovner told BleepingComputer that the company asked Amazon to reconsider the ban as the device is not capable of skimming bank cards.

The Flipper Zero is a compact, portable, and programmable pen-testing tool that can help experiment with and debug various digital and hardware devices via multiple protocols, including RFID, radio, NFC, infrared, Bluetooth, and others.

Since its launch, users have showcased Flipper Zero's capabilities demonstrating its capacity to activate doorbells, conduct replay attacks to unlock cars and open garage doors, and clone a wide range of digital keys.
The Brazilian National Telecommunications Agency has also been seizing incoming Flipper Zero purchases based on its alleged use by criminals. Brazilians who bought the devices say the government agency has rejected all attempts to certify the device.
Source: Flipper Zero banned by Amazon for being a ‘card skimming device’

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The company behind Flipper Zero expects $80 million in sales this year, which ZDNet estimates at around 500,000 unit sales. In its Kickstarter days the company sold almost $5 million as preorders, remembers TechCrunch, and the company claims it sold $25 million worth of the devices last year: So what are they selling?

Flipper Zero is a "portable gamified multi-tool" aimed at everyone with an interest in cybersecurity, whether as a penetration tester, curious nerd or student — or with more nefarious purposes. The tool includes a bunch of ways to manipulate the world around you, including wireless devices (think garage openers), RFID card systems, remote keyless systems, key fobs, entry to barriers, etc.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The Flipper Zero — a dolphin-themed digital multitool — now has a mobile app store, which makes it much easier to browse and install third-party tools and plug-ins right from your phone. The marketplace is built into the latest version of Flipper’s official app, which is out today.

Quick recap: the Flipper Zero is cool as hell. It has sub-GHz wireless, RFID, NFC, and Bluetooth radios. It can receive and transmit infrared signals. It has a USB-C port and a row of GPIO ports on the top that let it interface with other hardware, including an add-on Wi-Fi board.

Chris Person, writing for The Verge, called it a Swiss Army knife of antennas. You can use it to emulate Amiibos. You can use it as a universal remote or a USB Rubber Ducky. You can use it to root your vacuum cleaner — why not?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Apple has finally closed off the ability of the Flipper Zero pen-testing tool to flood iPhones with so many popups that the handset would lock up and require a reboot.
The attack required a Flipper Zero running the Xtreme third-party firmware. Then, using the built-in BLE Spam app, the Flipper Zero could cause a flurry of popups to appear on an iPhone, eventually resulting in iOS locking up. Put another way, it could perform a denial of service (DoS) attack on any and all iPhones within a 30-foot radius of the attacker. The Flipper Zero app could also be used to target Android and Windows devices, although with less extreme results.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.