For What reasons you format your pc?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i reformated (and reinstalled win 7) on one of my laptops after 4 years to start from scratch. This is a quite old machine that
i'm also sometimes using for software tests, for testing registry keys and software settings etc. So i decided to reinstal everything (system/software): i wanted to have an absolutely 'clean' system again on this laptop... .
I'm also running two another laptops: both installations (windows and software) are 2-3 years old. I dont think its necessary to frequently reinstal the entire system. I guess it was really/absolutely necessary in the 90's (windows 95/98, Windows XP)....
...but now... ....i guess it isn't really necessary when running the latest OS's (like Win7, Win8.1, Win10)....

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I'm formating my HDD only if there's need for that, like if I have problem that can't be fixed easy way or my PC has poor performance. That's usually every 2 or 3 years, depends in what condition is the OS.

Last time I done clean installation of Windows was few months ago. I had some problems with Windows activation after upgrade so I did clean install. Before doing clean install of Windows, I always search for solution for my problem and when there isn't solution (or solution is not working for me), the only thing I could do is to reinstall Windows.

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I Format every year, when I feel my Windows this loaded with installations/uninstall starts getting a little slow. Lately I have formatted every new upgrade from Win 10 because they corrupt some programs.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Overlord

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 22, 2013
I format my computer when there are significant performance issues. I do it on average every 2 years.:)

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I format when uninstall security software or when i see corruptions in sfc or dism i think if windows not are 100% ok the other programs are bad, i think if windows fail in dism or sfc "antiviruses does not run well" and security apps are sometimes imposible to install they let traces and traces and traces u u. Some times i format 7 times a year and now whith windows 10 everytime when tey relese a new bulid

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.