Force macOS to turn on keyboard lighting without ambient light sensor.

limbskars94

Thread author
Dec 9, 2020
The ambient light sensor of my 2018 MacBook Air is defective and I don't feel the need to get it replaced. The only problem I have is that the macOS won't let me turn on the lights of my keyboard anymore. The F5 and F6 keys just do not react and the "keyboard brightness" slider in macOS Big Sur just jumps all the way to zero when I try to pull it up. Now I want to know how I can either force macOS in believing it still has a working ambient light sensor or just force macOS to turn on the LED's without checking for the sensor. Preferably via the terminal but in the end any solution is helpful.
I already tried an app called "Lap Trick" but it said that my MacBook does not have an illuminated keyboard which is obviously not true.

Thanks for your help.

limbskars94

Thread author
Dec 9, 2020
The ambient light sensor of my 2018 MacBook Air is defective and I don't feel the need to get it replaced. The only problem I have is that the macOS won't let me turn on the lights of my keyboard anymore. The F5 and F6 keys just do not react and the "keyboard brightness" slider in macOS Big Sur just jumps all the way to zero when I try to pull it up. Now I want to know how I can either force macOS in believing it still has a working ambient light sensor or just force ma https://1921681001.id/ cOS to turn on the https://19216811.cam/ LED's without checking for the sensor. Preferably via the terminal but in the end any solution is helpful.
I already tried an app called "Lap Trick" but it said that my MacBook does not have an illuminated keyboard which is obviously not true.

Thanks for your help.
issue got solved

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.