FortiClient Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I'm currently using FortiClient Lite on my WinXP backup system. I removed MSE because it started to slow down the system.

Been using FortiClient Lite for about two weeks and it is really nice.
Very lite, simple, fast scanning and current updates. I also can confirm that it does include the web proxy filter enabled by default. (Checks all connections to the web and doesn't slow down web speed) You can disable it by clicking on the "?" Help symbol.

FortiNet proxy filter is the best to detect zero day malware in the wild. (has been proven by several testing sites).

I'm really impress with it.

Thanks.:D

G

Guest28

I wanted to try forti lite so bad but for some reason it does not like my system. I can't get it to update after system restart the icon does not display. I can't update or scan it's dead software on my computer and i have no reason why it does not work. I have no other software running while it's installed i am clueless.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
ryan said:
I wanted to try forti lite so bad but for some reason it does not like my system. I can't get it to update after system restart the icon does not display. I can't update or scan it's dead software on my computer and i have no reason why it does not work. I have no other software running while it's installed i am clueless.

What's your version of Window? XP, Vista, 7 (32bit or 64bit) I don't see it on your profile.

On Windows XP, FortiClient Lite requires IE8.

The most common reasons for security software to not work after installation:

1. Other incompatible security software (AV, Firewall, HIPS, Sandbox, Behavior Blocker, etc.) installed, running or left over traces that didn't get remove after uninstalling. With FortiClient Lite, third-party firewalls can cause issues because of the web proxy filter. Since it scans all network connections, it is made to work with Windows default firewall.

You can try uninstalling all security products on your system, use vendor removal tools for previously installed products. Reboot and first install FortiClient Lite and then reboot again. If it works correctly, then you can try re-installing the other security products that you also want to use.

2. System not meeting the software requirements for OS, Processor, RAM and other requirements. Make sure that you system meets the following:

System Requirements:
· Pentium processor or equivalent
· 600 MB hard disk space
· Internet Explorer 8 or Higher
· Compatible Operating System & Minimum RAM
- Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit: 256 MB
- Windows Server 2003 32-bit and 64-bit: 384 MB
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2: 384MB
- Windows Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit: 512 MB
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2: 512MB
- Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit: 512 MB
- Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit: 512 MB

Good luck.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This product have a potential its supposed to be included in major testing organization like AV-Comparatives.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its like Forticlient Lite does not have a web guard filter, when I watched a review from Youtube its like the file guard was performed the action.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Since there isn't a help guide for FortiClient Lite that I have found, I did my own research using NirSoft CurrPorts and Sysinternals TCPView.

Every time I launch any application using the internet, I could see multiple instances of FortiProxy.exe connected to the exact same connection. The same way that AvastSvc.exe (Avast Web Shield) does. So I have no doubts that FortiProxy.exe is a web filter, because it doesn't start until an internet connection is started.

I'm not sure why it is not blocking malicious urls, unless it isn't fully been implemented.

Bo, PM me some of these malicious urls and I will see what it does on my backup system.

You got me wondering now, if it is really working even though I can see it connecting just like Avast Web Shield when it blocks urls.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I just did a quick review of FortiClient Lite using urls (from MDL).

It successfully blocked all malware from from 2011/09/11.

You can read my review on my personal website here.

Enjoy!!:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my opinion, Forticlient would be a strip down of standard version as no web guard/filter included in Lite version.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Going by the urls in the screenshots.

1. Not Found 404 error.

2. Page loads with errors but several scripts are missing supposedly blocked by FortiClient Lite silently.
It looks like every malicious script is blocked, I click several links on the page and nothing worked, kept getting connection reset by remote server on every link that I clicked on.

3. Connection Reset by Remote Server, nothing would load on the page.

I'm guessing the first url link is dead and the other two are silently getting blocked by FortiClient proxy since it is the only security protection enabled on this system.

The user guide explains nothing about how the FortiClient Proxy works.
For now it is a mystery. I guess it is time for us to contact FortiNet and ask them.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Maybe FortiClient Lite's FortiProxy.exe only blocks the malicious scripts on urls, not the complete urls themselves.

Whereas FortiClient's Web Filter blocks the complete url domains.

I know FortiProxy.exe is doing something, because the malicious scripts and exe's are getting blocked. I can see that it is scanning all the connections on this system.

I'm going to contact FortiNet and ask them, report back later after I receive a reply.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Found in Fortinet Knowledge Base and its stated:

This article explains how to manually disable the FortiProxy module in FortiClient. Disabling the FortiProxy allows FortiClient to run without the following features activated:

FortiGuard Web Filtering
Antivirus scanning for web content

Probably FortiProxy.exe in lite has a Web filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.