Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I just came across FortiClient. Knew about it for ages, but never really tried it. And it looks rather nice actually, except it makes Opera 50 browser take insanely long to start and show a bookmark bar and while using it, it's causing Opera to stop responding and then continue after like 5 seconds. Considering I have a hexa core CPU, 32GB RAM and fast SSD, that shouldn't be happening. I did enable all protective modules including Exploit protection. I mean, it's there, of course I'll use it all.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I genuinely like FortiClient, but this was really unexpected and a bit disappointed as I haven't seen such behavior even with most demanding bloated security suites...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you experience these (or similar) issues with other web browsers?

Reactions: HunterKhajiit

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I haven't tried any other browsers yet, I'd have to import all the stuff there to make it realistic and I'm just too lazy today. Thought I'd ask here first if anyone had similar problem already...

Reactions: HunterKhajiit

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
No one experiencing this issue? Hm.

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Hey bro, i'm using Forticlient a few months. My main browser is Firefox and secondary is Chrome. Never had any issues. Sorry, I never tried Opera because I dont trust them.
Are you enjoying using the forticlient? I'm very pleased with it.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I just came across FortiClient. Knew about it for ages, but never really tried it. And it looks rather nice actually, except it makes Opera 50 browser take insanely long to start and show a bookmark bar and while using it, it's causing Opera to stop responding and then continue after like 5 seconds. Considering I have a hexa core CPU, 32GB RAM and fast SSD, that shouldn't be happening. I did enable all protective modules including Exploit protection. I mean, it's there, of course I'll use it all.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I genuinely like FortiClient, but this was really unexpected and a bit disappointed as I haven't seen such behavior even with most demanding bloated security suites...

We need way more information.

What modules did you install with it?
Did you enable any extra features or adjust the CONF file?
Are there ANY other security programs on the machine?

If you install it, then click the gear next to antivirus protection a window will open showing extra options like Exploit Protection, Advanced Malware Intelligence Engine, Botnet Activity Detection. Are any of those enabled? After you let me know all of this I can probably solve the issue and if needed get a bug report in to the TAC.

Remember, 5.6+ FortiClient functions more like a real security suite more than a simple signature based antivirus. It has other modules such as anti-exploit, machine learning, anti-botnet and anti-coin miner. Any other security products can cause overlap, and significant issues. Also, it's possible one of the newer modules isn't updated to work with Opera, didn't they recently add anti-coin miner and other tech?

For example Voodooshield DOES NOT work with it any longer. Given FortiClient has a deployment scale of 50,000,000 systems it's not like they will fix it for a small scale product like VS. No offense to VS but that will be their logic on that.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I've enabled all the features that can be enabled on a workstation that's not connected to a FortiSandbox (Single sign on and VPN thingie were not selected, the rest was). FortiClient was the only security solution installed. I mean, I have a really powerful system, I never expect any performance issues no matter what I enable in antiviruses, but here I was getting really long Opera load times where bookmarkbar doesn't appear for several seconds after Opera start and it would also cause Opera to repeatedly stop responding in like 10 or 15 second intervals. I've removed it since it made my system unusable, but I kinda like Fortinet as an option so I'd like to figure out what's going on.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I've enabled all the features that can be enabled on a workstation that's not connected to a FortiSandbox (Single sign on and VPN thingie were not selected, the rest was).
I'm positive it was the "Block known communication channels used by attackers" setting that was giving you problems. I had encountered the same issue recently. At default settings FortiClient runs smooth, but as soon as I enabled that setting browsing speed is severely affected.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
This indeed seems to be the reason. Question now is, can this be fixed so the feature can be used without negative effects? Or, why is it causing this?

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm positive it was the "Block known communication channels used by attackers" setting that was giving you problems. I had encountered the same issue recently. At default settings FortiClient runs smooth, but as soon as I enabled that setting browsing speed is severely affected.

This is absolutely the cause. It's a bug that hasn't been addressed yet.

It should be disabled for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.