Status
Not open for further replies.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Also via INI you can do fun things. Like enforce 443 for updates. Set Forticlient to use more available hardware - it defaults to using 1 core only, if you are like me and have 6-8 cores, I give 2 cores to Forticlient to speed up scanning by 50%. You can disable sending found threats to Fortinet, blah blah blah. INI is where the fun begins for nerds.

how are you doing that?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Antivirus (including the ability to enable extreme signatures, advanced heuristics in INI file)

wich ini file? i need a guide for this av
Open the Forticlient GUI. Select 'File' in the upper left. Then under System you will find Backup or restore full configuration. Select backup and save the current configuration to your desktop. Make a backup of it. Then you can edit it. Once you edit it, reverse the procedure with the edited INI and select 'restore' to load up the new configuration. That file has every INI change you can make to the program which basically gives you absolute granular control over everything, including enabling advanced protection significantly above the default.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
the edit of the INI is absolutely confusing for me...probably nothing to do for an average user :unsure:

I see just words words words and lines...like trees in the wood o_O

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

the edit of the INI is absolutely confusing for me...probably nothing to do for an average user :unsure:

I see just words words words and lines...like trees in the wood o_O

LOL!! I wouldn't play in ini files unless you are a nerd, programmer, IT Guy or someone that has a history of playing in command line applications. But reading it line by line should make sense, it's absolutely the most basic form of scripting/batch coding. There are parameters in <> and end blocks in </>, pretty much like quoting on a forum.

But yeah, don't play if you haven't done this stuff before or at least have seen it before. Gamers should know all about ini editing.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Best friends forever. Personally, I think this is a rockstar combo.

FortiClient - Extensive Signature Antivirus, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Botnet, Anti-Bitcoin Miner, Web Filtration, Vulnerability Scanning, Dynamic Threat Detection.
Voodooshield - Anti-Exe, VT Scanner, (and whatever else VS is classified as)
Heimdal Pro - Module/Application Updater, Heuristic Traffic Scanner, DNS Scanner.

Best.png

d0ts

Level 1
Verified
Nov 9, 2017
Fortinet seems to have Application Firewall, how is it configurable and should I use other firewall management like WFC since I want completely lockdown?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Antivirus (including the ability to enable extreme signatures, advanced heuristics in INI file)

Do you have info on INI file settings (a tutorial or hep file)? Sounds amazing tweakable.

Fortinet did well in the past against malware UR:S and core AV-signatures. Because Fortinet felt a bit heavy and did not have advanced features (like other free AV;s) it was not very popular on security forums. These enhancements are really interesting.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Do you have info on INI file settings (a tutorial or hep file)? Sounds amazing tweakable.

Fortinet did well in the past against malware UR:S and core AV-signatures. Because Fortinet felt a bit heavy and did not have advanced features (like other free AV;s) it was not very popular on security forums. These enhancements are really interesting.
Open the Forticlient GUI. Select 'File' in the upper left. Then under System you will find Backup or restore full configuration. Select backup and save the current configuration to your desktop. Make a backup of it. Then you can edit it. Once you edit it, reverse the procedure with the edited INI and select 'restore' to load up the new configuration.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
OK thx, but what settings can be tweaked in the ini file. Explanation and instruction of the settings in the ini file, not how to backup and restore the ini-file. I just installed Fortnet and exploit protection was disabled. So what setting to change in the ini file to enable it?

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Fortinet seems to have Application Firewall, how is it configurable and should I use other firewall management like WFC since I want completely lockdown?

Interesting, I tested it a while back and I don't remember seeing an application firewall, just anti-virus and web security that was like a beefed up version of uBlock Origin, I might have to check it out again.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I just installed Fortnet and exploit protection was disabled. So what setting to change in the ini file to enable it?
Click on the cog next to Realtime Protection Enabled and there's an option to enable exploit protection.
OK thx, but what settings can be tweaked in the ini file. Explanation and instruction of the settings in the ini file, not how to backup and restore the ini-file.
@ForgottenSeer 58943 outlined the most relevant things in the INI here:
Video Review - FortiClient- An issue to be resolved

d0ts

Level 1
Verified
Nov 9, 2017
Interesting, I tested it a while back and I don't remember seeing an application firewall, just anti-virus and web security that was like a beefed up version of uBlock Origin, I might have to check it out again.
I just read somewhere in the forum mentioning it does.. Just installed and don't see the firewall.
Waiting for 'components' updating which is taking so longgg

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013

I tweaked the INI and trust me it's easy for anyone. You just work your way through the settings like it's a GUI. once you've done it a couple of times you know exactly where to scroll to. And if you backup the tweaked INI you'll only have to do it once. It really is just common sense once you're looking at the INI file. People who are not tech savvy could make a few backups of the original INI so they could practice.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I tweaked the INI and trust me it's easy for anyone. You just work your way through the settings like it's a GUI. once you've done it a couple of times you know exactly where to scroll to. And if you backup the tweaked INI you'll only have to do it once. It really is just common sense once you're looking at the INI file. People who are not tech savvy could make a few backups of the original INI so they could practice.

Exactly! Make the changes once, put the INI on a USB stick and you are good to go.. Install FortiClient, go to settings, select 'Restore', highlight the config on the USB and presto, it's added in, all of your settings ready to go.

If you have a FortiGate it's even easier, you can load the config into the appliance. Then any FortiClient installed on your network grabs the full config and sets it up automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.