Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Every time a new iPhone comes out, a team of technicians in the French city of Toulouse start to pull it apart. In the three years they’ve been doing this, they’ve found a device that’s gradually transforming into a fortress. Today’s iPhones are packed with parts that cannot be repaired or replaced by anyone other than an expensive Apple-accredited repair shop. And France doesn’t like that one bit.

It's a problem that’s been getting worse and worse, says Alexandre Isaac, CEO of The Repair Academy, the renowned research and training group that runs the Toulouse workshop. Every time a new iPhone is released, his team finds another part that’s been locked to work only with a specific Apple device. First it was just a chip on the motherboard, he says. Then the list of parts with repair restrictions stretched to Touch ID, Face ID, and eventually the battery, the screen, and the camera.

By forcing people to pay an accredited technician more than the value of a second-hand iPhone for a simple repair job, Apple is incentivizing people to throw their devices away rather than fix them, says Isaac. The Repair Academy estimates an Apple-accredited technician charges customers twice as much as an independent repair shop. “A lot of people see Apple as super green,” Isaac says, referring to the solar panels on the company’s California headquarters and the recycled aluminum used to build MacBooks. The Repair Academy has been gathering evidence to try and prove that’s not the case. Instead, Apple’s engineers are proactively trying to make iPhones harder to repair, he argues.

It’s a problem Isaac has been following for years. And now a Paris prosecutor has decided to take action. On May 15, the prosecutor announced that there will be an official investigation into allegations that Apple is pursuing a business model of planned obsolescence—a term that refers to designing a product in a way that intentionally limits its lifespan.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
This really gets up my nose...

I'm an electronics technician by trade, you know CRO's, circuit diagrams, logic analyser type tecnician and I have been made virtually redundant by modern technology. Not by Apple et al. but by progress! You can't repair a 5 million transistor, 3nm Microprocessor like we did in the old days when a motherboard had an 8 bit Z80 CPU, PIO, SIO, CTC and DART chips to analyse with a CRO.

Ironically, these people are trying to fight protectionism with protectionism, IMHO. Apple's right to protect the integrity of their products vs. the right of 16 year kid's who did a few screen replacements or jailbreaks setting up pop-up 'repair' booths in Mega Malls, destroying any useful ISO traceability records. Apple support relies on consistency in component production otherwise what use is it.

I wish these bloody tin pot technocrats would bugger-off and leave technological progress to the professionals, I had to!

Then again, I guess, anyone can fix two tin cans at the end of a stretched piece of string...

• Applause
Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.