Real-time security
Kaspersky Total Security 2017
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
AdwCleaner, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro, JRT, Zemana AntiMalware
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Mozilla Firefox: uBlock Origin, NoScript, Kaspersky Protection, Kaspersky Password Manager
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, O&O Defrag, Wise Care 365
File and Photo backup
AOMEI Backupper Pro
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Pro
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/franks-pc.62089/

Darlene

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
I don't know. I think it's set to "Take Caution" by operator/moderator.
I excluded Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016 (2017 isn't yet available in Germany) at HitmanPro.Alert.
HitmanPro.Alert is set to trusted by Kaspersky automatically. I also tested Kaspersky with HMP.Alert in Action on a virtual machine, by running ransomware with disabled realtime-scanning of kaspersky. Kaspersky blocked it. By disabling Kaspersky's Anti-Exploit, HitmanPro.Alert also blocked it. So both programs are running right I guess.

Thanks for sharing the info, if you installed HitmanPro.Alert first and kaspersky after, did kaspersky wanted to remove it or not?

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Thanks for sharing the info, if you installed HitmanPro.Alert first and kaspersky after, did kaspersky wanted to remove it or not?
No. I haven't found any program which shall be removed on installing kaspersky. I used Zemana, HMP.Alert, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Realtime-Protection and Kaspersky didn't alert me on installation setup. Either the compatibility check of kaspersky is buggy or kaspersky simply is working in its own world :D

Darlene

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
No. I haven't found any program which shall be removed on installing kaspersky. I used Zemana, HMP.Alert, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Realtime-Protection and Kaspersky didn't alert me on installation setup. Either the compatibility check of kaspersky is buggy or kaspersky simply is working in its own world :D
Good to know, I expected kaspersky to remove all other security solutions before installing. I once encountered that bitdefender would not install without removing the malwarebytes free edition first.

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Update - 28/08/2016

• Replaced Kaspersky Internet Security by Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • Removed VoodooShield (I don't need an anti-executable with my computer habits)
  • Added WD Elements 3TB 3,5" which is connected to my Network Router - there are all files and backups located (will be also checked regularly for viruses by Emsisoft and Zemana), confidential files are encrypted with Steganos Safe. On the computer there are only the operating system and the installed programs/drivers.
  • Removed Wise Care 365 (I think it's a bit too aggressive on registry cleaning - ccleaner and windows cleanmgr.exe will be enough)
  • Added setup-descriptions

Last edited:

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Great config bro. Could you please let me know the reason you have moved from KIS to EAM? Thank you very much bro ;)
Kaspersky is going the way like the most other av-vendors: the Internet Security is becoming more and more (and more and more...) extensive. I really don't like that over packed Internet Security Suites which are offered today.
Changes from Kaspersky 2016 to 2017: Software Updater, Software Cleaner and secure connection.
I still keep my software up-to-date by myself - and that will never change. I need no tool for it.
I don't need one more cleaning tool. Ccleaner and Windows Disk Cleaner is more than enough.
I don't need a secure connection software which is shared by hotspot shield - I already have my own configured secure connection provided by HideMyAss and my router-setup. A customizable installation would be right here. But no - it is forced to install.
Kaspersky should focus more on its engine: it is still too slow and buggy in comparison to others.

Well, and there's Emsisoft: Fast, small, clean, light-weight with an excellent detection ratio and behavior analysis. That's more than just one big reason to change! :)

Edit: Ahh I forgot one point:
Kaspersky's slow scanning is really hard on scanning network drives. Emsisoft is much faster there!

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@FrankS i agree with you on customizable installation.Some components are not needed why they should be installed?
On that matter that's why i like Dr.Web. During installation you can select the components you want and the others out.
For example i didn't install parental control when i tried it.
I just don't understand why other companies don't provide that option?

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
@FrankS i agree with you on customizable installation.Some components are not needed why they should be installed?
On that matter that's why i like Dr.Web. During installation you can select the components you want and the others out.
For example i didn't install parental control when i tried it.
I can't understand it too. I think it's an agreement between Kaspersky and other software manufacturer. Features such as Software Updater, Software Cleaner and Secure Connection are programs which Kaspersky has bought from other software vendors. I don't believe, that it's created by Kaspersky. Maybe Kaspersky pays less for it if they integrate the programs in the installation as a constraint. But I don't know, it's just a guess.

L

LabZero

If you have installed GlassWire, you have no idea how many applications and modules, continuously exchanging data on the network.
If we consider that every installed AV component shares specific info about the use of the same, then it is possible to also think this is one of the reasons.
For example tune up module of AVG Internet Security , you can't avoid the installation of the component, and this utility is poor if you do not buy the full version.
But it means sponsoring the full version and collect data at the same time.

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Updated my Security config 01/10/16
Code:
- replaced HitmanPro.Alert by Heimdal Pro (too much false positives of HMP.Alert)
- received the Anniversary Update of Windows 10
- added Wise Care 365 again - the issue with sfc /scannow was not triggered by Wise Care (microsoft bug with nvidia dll-file)
Feel free to comment this update with some impressions or improvements.

Sincerely,
FrankS

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Let us know how your experience with Heimdal Pro is. :)
It seems to be strong like HMP.Alert just with the difference that Heimdal is just blocking the web traffic while the process is still running. If HitmanPro.Alert is detecting a threat, it blocks the whole process. So HitmanPro.Alert is easier to handle for the user.
But when I connected an USB-Stick to my computer, HitmanPro.Alert blocked the mms_mini process (acronis true image) because the mms_mini service/process is overwriting the mbr when an usb-stick is connected to your computer.

Also Wise Care 365 got blocked by HitmanPro.Alert with secure deleting feature enabled. With Heimdal Pro I have no issues/false positives until now.

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
@FrankS I would be very appreciate it if you could answer my above question. Thank you bro ;)
I've never tried to use both programs because it is not useful I guess. The security could be reduced instead of increased because of possible incompatibility issues which the user doesn't see. I would recommend any anti-virus program with one of these proactive tools - but both together could trigger less security.

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Changed some programs because of expired licenses
  • Replaced Emsisoft by Kaspersky Total Security
  • Replaced Acronis True Image by AOMEI Backupper Pro (Lifetime)
  • Removed Steganos Safe and Roboform
  • Added Zemana Anti-Malware (licensed) for on-demand/context-scanning - protection and autostart disabled
Planned for future: Changing VPN-Provider (currently: HideMyAss) without logging.

Reactions: Darlene

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.