Frans his Security Config

Frans

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2014
This is the config of my main PC.

On my laptop im currently running Kubuntu 14.04 but i will install Ubuntu 14.10 tomorrow or i'll wait till the new Linux Mint. When i'm using my Laptop in public places (especially open networks) i'll use my VPN connection, just to be sure ;-).

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hello and welcome..
Here's my recommendations:
- Enable UAC
- Don't use MBAM in real-time, no need. More as an on-demand scanner (add HitmanPro, also)
- Add following addons to your browser: WOT & HTTPS Everywhere.

I don't know if you're already using it, but CCleaner is necessary for cleaning your internet traces..
Of course, if you practice your Common Sense (you mentioned in Any other software), you're okay!!
Thanks for sharing!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would enable UAC
Use MBAM as and on demand scanner and add a couple more on demand scanners such as Emsisoft Emergency KIT,ESET Online Scanner and or Hitman Pro
CCleaner or Privazer if your not already using one or the other
Add HTTPS Everywhere to FF
Nice config!! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal

I also had the good and UAC disabled , it is now more annoying , but you are more informed about the security of your computer.
I'm using Xubuntu and Manjaro , the above use for bank and public connections , I would recommend you wait a bit before installing 14.10 version to ensure smooth operation.
Welcome and remember, MalwareTips may be addictive

Frans

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2014
I find UAC kinda annoying so i disable it always (on my own machines), it might be safer to use it but i chose not to ;-).

Thanks for the WOT and https everywhere tip, i had WOT in the past but i feel i kinda don't need it.
Also using Ccleaner ;-).

Again, thanks for the tips.

Frans

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2014
Already using MBAM as real time scanners ;-) (so also can use it on-demand )

Thanks ;-)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.