fredsarran Security Configuration

fredwerk

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
Hi guys,

Fantastic forum and very informative :)

Here is my Security Configuration. I would appreciate any recommendations in regards to if Bitdefender was a good choice, any other software I should use, possibly free?

I tried the new Malwarebytes 3.0 but it is simply so buggy and my PC becomes so slow. I previously used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit (both Premium), those worked well (but now uninstalled due to no more updates from the company).

Cheers!

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would like to reccomend a backup solution for you. You could give Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper a try both have a good free and very reliable version. ;)

Maybe add Zemana AntiMalware free or Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on demand scanners. :)

fredwerk

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
I would like to reccomend a backup solution for you. You could give Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper a try both have a good free and very reliable version. ;)

Maybe add Zemana AntiMalware free or Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on demand scanners. :)

Hi,

Cheers for the recommendations :)

Whats wrong with Windows 10 backup option? I believe the less software I use, the better it is for the PC.

Reason why I have no backup setup for now is because I used my PC only for gaming and all games are installed on other internal hard drives. I have a dedicated SSD drive for Windows ;)

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Hi,

Cheers for the recommendations :)

Whats wrong with Windows 10 backup option? I believe the less software I use, the better it is for the PC.

Reason why I have no backup setup for now is because I used my PC only for gaming and all games are installed on other internal hard drives. I have a dedicated SSD drive for Windows ;)

Never trust Windows build in programs haha :D
Macrium Reflect is 10 times for reliable

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Very Nice config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
I too would recommend a couple on demand scanners and a 3rd party system back up solution.

Reactions: Andytay70
F

ForgottenSeer 56325

Not bad config!, I would add extra ransomware protection due for example Cerber can destroy Bitdefender and infect the system, for that I would add Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool.

Also like everybody said I would add some extra on-demand scanners like malwarebytes or zemana.

Also you can add HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome.

Good config through!

Reactions: AtlBo and fredwerk

fredwerk

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
Not bad config!, I would add extra ransomware protection due for example Cerber can destroy Bitdefender and infect the system, for that I would add Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool.

Also like everybody said I would add some extra on-demand scanners like malwarebytes or zemana.

Also you can add HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome.

Good config through!

Thanks mate, yes I am currently looking into adding EEK, KART, and HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome.

Malwarebytes is now a no go as it totally crashes my PC (the new 3.0 version where they put all tools in one). Is Zemana the second best? Also, would it not be better to have real time protection (pro active) for Malware and Adware instead of on-demand?

Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 has a ransomware tool but this has bugged my PC such as some desktop icons not appearing after a activating the tool and restarting the PC.

About the backing up situation, even so backing up is good practice, for "better" practice, shall I back up to an external hard drive or is it safe to backup to an internal hard drive? I am still conflicted which backup tool I should use, and would paying for a Premium tool not be better?

Many security software offers free and paid version. I am happy to pay a reasonable price for a software that proven itself excellent. I don't want to pay for something buggy, slowing my system to a crawl, etc...

Reactions: AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 56325

Thanks mate, yes I am currently looking into adding EEK, KART, and HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome.

Malwarebytes is now a no go as it totally crashes my PC (the new 3.0 version where they put all tools in one). Is Zemana the second best? Also, would it not be better to have real time protection (pro active) for Malware and Adware instead of on-demand?

Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 has a ransomware tool but this has bugged my PC such as some desktop icons not appearing after a activating the tool and restarting the PC.

About the backing up situation, even so backing up is good practice, for "better" practice, shall I back up to an external hard drive or is it safe to backup to an internal hard drive? I am still conflicted which backup tool I should use, and would paying for a Premium tool not be better?

Many security software offers free and paid version. I am happy to pay a reasonable price for a software that proven itself excellent. I don't want to pay for something buggy, slowing my system to a crawl, etc...
1) That's nice, if you add them Chrome would be pretty much protected

2) You can still download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free on BleepingComputer if you want :), and actually I would say Zemana is even better than Malwarebytes, you can download Zemana free from here: Clean your computer in minutes with Zemana AntiMalware, no matter how badly infected!
Actually with Bitdefender you should be protect enough tbh, if you want you can add some complements like Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free (which also can still be instaled), and I would recommend you Zemana Anti-Logger, I don't remember when but Giveaway Club gifted some 380 days keys, so if you can find them you can try the software.

3) Buying a backup software is imo useless, I use Comodo Backup, and I backup my data in Pendrives or External Hard Drives, if you want Comodo offers a Cloud where you can save your backuped your data after you backup it with Comodo Backup.

Thanks for quoting my post, Lucas1533

Reactions: AtlBo and fredwerk

fredwerk

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
Hi guys (or girls),

What would you recommend to backup off-premise? (Backing up and uploading somewhere on the cloud). What are the best free and paid options?

As well, which options is the easiest in order to restore a backup? After being totally destroyed by viruses, malware, adware and so on.

I now updated my security config, however I forgot to mention that I also use now and then on demand adwcleaner (Malwarebytes now own this piece of software). But now it launches (I can see it in the Task Manager window) but I cannot see the Software window at all.

What could be causing the issue?

Cheers!

F

ForgottenSeer 56325

Now that I'm reseeing this, I'm gonna recommend you VodooShield, is a free tool that if you want you can pay it, this tool runs alongside your av and stops malicious apps of getting infected your pc, it uses 57 different av engines to scan every app you run on you system. Its pretty great. :)

fredwerk

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
Now that I'm reseeing this, I'm gonna recommend you VodooShield, is a free tool that if you want you can pay it, this tool runs alongside your av and stops malicious apps of getting infected your pc, it uses 57 different av engines to scan every app you run on you system. Its pretty great. :)

Thanks I'll check it out soon :)

Is SecureAplus any good?

And any idea why AdwCleaner is not showing its window anymore despite being loaded in the Task Manager?

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
nice setup but I think it's a bit overkill
IMHO, Bitdefender + voodooshield should be more than enough. You can ignore zemana and kaspersky ARW

thank you for sharing your config ;)

fredwerk

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
nice setup but I think it's a bit overkill
IMHO, Bitdefender + voodooshield should be more than enough. You can ignore zemana and kaspersky ARW

thank you for sharing your config ;)

Yea I kinda think so but so far all works well hand in hand and my PC not overkilled by all those apps lol I don't use the Ransomeware tool from Bitdefender so decided to use the Kaspersky one. I always used a Anti-Malware app such as Malwarebyte but because their new version is buggy as hell, Zemana seem to work very well.

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.