Advice Request Free Antivirus for Windows 7 [2022]

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
As the titles says, I work as IT Assistant there are some Windows 7 on their old PCs/laptops they are doing MS office things as simple what's good free AV for Windows 7 that run it on? I think GDATA? Panda? that's what i've read some posts on this forums

sartic

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 5, 2020
WiseVector and a fully patched system. Also use a software updater and disable all scripts, harden the OS as much as you can, since it's a pretty much old OS :)
I think moving to Linux or Android x86 is better for old machines but we leave clients as long that they want to stick with older non supported windows OS.
Also today refurbished win 10 pc is also cheap solution.
Today one my client come with failed disk (from 2008). PC which run windows 7 is still working. He choose refurbished.
In my test WV has more false alarm than (giga)BitDefender :) And they say WV is not anti virus.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
avg antivirus

AVG = Avast..
Avast and AVG have long since become gas factories in terms of CPU, given the tools offered and especially the interface which seems quite heavy to me...

There is also Microsoft Security Essentials which does an excellent job especially if the updates are made thanks to the Win7 patch, but I will be + for WiseVector.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Thank you for the reply guys, i would try one by one for test.

Kaspersky Free or Bitdefender Free.
Yea but they are heavy and laggy due to old PCs/laptops

AVG = Avast..
Avast and AVG have long since become gas factories in terms of CPU, given the tools offered and especially the interface which seems quite heavy to me...

There is also Microsoft Security Essentials which does an excellent job especially if the updates are made thanks to the Win7 patch, but I will be + for WiseVector.
MSE? really? i thought its outdated and dead because no ones talk about it here :unsure:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Hi, @CyberTech, I am a new member here on the MT forum, so I am just a spectator. But I have an old computer at home that has windows 7 installed, and I installed CIS, and it was the only one that worked slightly on that PC, however, it can be an achilles heel if installed for a person with little knowledge. But, I think WSX seems to be an option that should be considered, as some colleagues have stated above it is very well spoken of here in MT. Nice to meet @oldschool, I'm new to the forum my friend.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.