In-depth Comparison

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From your nominations at Free Antivirus of the Year 2020 - Nominate, 5 products have been selected for the final poll phase starting today.

Compared to the Poll conducted last time, we have a new contender, WiseVector StopX.

The poll will be closed on 14th Nov 2020 and the winner revealed on 15th Nov 2020.

Do reply in this thread which product you chose and why?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** Also please take a moment to mention the Pro's and Con's you have found in the Product, so that it will be helpful for others while making their decision. ****

Post the poll phase, we will start the nominations for Paid Antivirus of the Year 2020 :)

Last edited:

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
I have to vote WD. It's there. I don't have to do anything. It runs super fast on SSD (hardware makes a difference with WD). I have no problems excluding files\folders. I can easily restored blocked ones form quarantine. Apply other Windows protections and there just isn't any need to install 3rd party security software. So simple. No annoyances. No hassles.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I have to vote WD. It's there. I don't have to do anything. It runs super fast on SSD (hardware makes a difference with WD). I have no problems excluding files\folders. I can easily restored blocked ones form quarantine. Apply other Windows protections and there just isn't any need to install 3rd party security software. So simple. No annoyances. No hassles.
It would be nice if Microsoft could overhaul the UI of Windows Defender.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
For the average user, Kaspersky Security Cloud. It can be safely used without tuning it (unlike Comodo, which needs to be heavily tuned) and without the need of other tools (unlike WD, which requires Hard_Configurator).
Among the nominees, Kaspersky offers the best web protection (blocking malicious or phishing websites), slightly better than Ditdefender's

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
One thing is what I would use, and another thing would be what I would recommend to a normal user, with no idea of what security is.
I would use Comodo Firewall with the Cs) or WD configuration with the @Andy Ful programs.
But for an average user it would be Kaspersky free.
So if the poll is for the average Joe, my vote is Kaspersky free.(y)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Kaspersky, time has proved that K protects well whichever version you use, for others such as friends & relatives I recommend K if using either pay or free as I'm familiar with it if problems arise - Defender made huge improvements over the last few years but still not for me, as most built in 10 modules aren't - just my opinion :)

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Kaspersky, time has proved that K protects well whichever version you use, for others such as friends & relatives I recommend K if using either pay or free as I'm familiar with it if problems arise - Defender made huge improvements over the last few years but still not for me, as most built in 10 modules aren't - just my opinion :)
Wow, it's like you're reading my mind.
For years I've been installing Avast for people that didn't want to pay for AV and then switched to Kaspersky when they started offering it. So far never had any problems with those systems.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Voted for microsoft defender, its been another good year for WD, and it keeps getting better, also integrated with the system, with best stability

Kaspersky been always good, being top product, always scoring well, probably best out of everything, but its 3rd party so it comes on second place

This year for comodo been so bad, first forum gets breached, then comodo cloud antivirus discontinued, and the stable CIS being destroyed by windows updates, caused comodo to release unstable versions for whole year without cancelling unstable versions and going back with the stable ones, probably next year they get back on track

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Gotta be WiseVector StopX.

No niggly, footery, tweaking needed, it`s straight out of the box and protecting your system with super sexy next-gen AI.

For such a young product it`s got some ringing endorsments via our own Malware Hub and even the Cruelist of Sistors struggled hard to find a negative.

WiseVector StopX is very stable no doubt due in no small part to the developers keen interest in user feedback and suggestions and acting upon these promptly.

For all the protection levels it`s no resource hog as it runs under 20mb rarely exceeding this.

No plethora of pop ups when you install new software

Can be run along side existing security software but then again, why would you want or need to ?

Yadda yadda, get with the program folks!

Regards Eck:)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.