Battle Free antivirus with low resource usage and a decent protection for a gamer

Compare list
Kaspersky Free
Bitdefender Free
In-depth Comparison

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Hello,

so my friend just got tired of that buggy Avast! and uninstalled that software.

What would you recommend instead of it? His main focus is on low resource usage. He has a pretty secure browsing-habits, etc... So protection doesn't have to be "perfect," just "decent."

My suggestions would be:

KASPERSKY FREE VS. BITDEFENDER FREE :D These are my main favorites. Which one and why :)?

So, what would YOU recommend?

Any suggestion is welcomed.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Cylance...if i remember this right, it does not scan/detect/remove scripts(ps1,vbs,wscript etc) ?
And why here in Europe, we cannot use Cylance? GDPR?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
So, you mean, that with WD, you should exclude a game folder? That's a some sort of a security risk? With many of the avs, after the full scan, file hashes are calculated, so the next scans are faster.
It's not like they should rather an option in case someone is doubtful about system impact. This is not just for Windows Defender, one can do this for other AVs also. I play one online FPS game and I've been putting the game folder in the exclusion for couple of months now no matter which AV I use even though I haven't notice any performance impact. This is something I've also seen suggested in other AVs forum by official staff. Legit games downloaded from Steam or other similar platforms should be free from malwares so there's not really any security risk there.

Last edited:

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Just thinkin when im going to paranoid mode:
-Iobit and Glarysoft, Chinese companys registered to USA, to fool it's actually USA bases company. Why so many IOBIT and Glarysoft freebies? Think about it? So called "updates" are actually for getting inside your computer. If there's 100k users of IOBIT or Glarysoft and if Chinese Party says, do the next update with a backdoor....done. Then hit and take over all the ASC and Glarysoft users to make ddos to USA and root servers(especially level3)
-Zonealarm, made by Israel Mossad Federal Agency, Whole Check Point company is ran by a Mossad
-Mcafee, Norton/Symantec backdoored by NSA

Safe to use:
-Eset
-Emsisoft
-F-Secure (the safest one, no Goverment involved)
-Bitdefender (dunno about this)
-Bullguard (Danish, no Goverment involved)
-GData (The Lady of Kaspersky bought a big share of Gdata, which is not a good thing, really)

Reactions: KonradPL

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
In terms of performance not protection :
Lightest is built in SRP , H_C without defender
Second comodo cruel sister voodoo shield ,OS Armour
Third wise vector ,cylance, webroot
Still light but some noticable impact in low end computers
Panda, Qihoo360 ,Eset

More noticeable but not too much for 99% of mid range + users .
Eset , Norton bitdefender configere defender, f secure, Kaspersky .

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Just thinkin when im going to paranoid mode:
-Iobit and Glarysoft, Chinese companys registered to USA, to fool it's actually USA bases company. Why so many IOBIT and Glarysoft freebies? Think about it? So called "updates" are actually for getting inside your computer. If there's 100k users of IOBIT or Glarysoft and if Chinese Party says, do the next update with a backdoor....done. Then hit and take over all the ASC and Glarysoft users to make ddos to USA and root servers(especially level3)
-Zonealarm, made by Israel Mossad Federal Agency, Whole Check Point company is ran by a Mossad
-Mcafee, Norton/Symantec backdoored by NSA

Safe to use:
-Eset
-Emsisoft
-F-Secure (the safest one, no Goverment involved)
-Bitdefender (dunno about this)
-Bullguard (Danish, no Goverment involved)
-GData (The Lady of Kaspersky bought a big share of Gdata, which is not a good thing, really)
use on premise av or ditch windows if you care about it .

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
ZoneAlarm
AdAware
Avira
AhnLab

All of these have free versions of their antivirus software, and offer decent protection. ZoneAlarm is based on Kaspersky, AdAware is based on BitDefender, Avira and AhnLab have their own engines.
i would most definitelystay away from adware.....and avira too

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Sometimes i wonder why windows needs n+1 security softwares, gettin tired of do that, make that, use paranoid mode, use sissys conf etc. Even your mouse movement can be sandboxed sigh...but afterall i always come back to windows :D
Yeah, gettin tired of linux too, especially with nvidia GPU. NONE of KDE Live USB distros does not work(nvidia gtx 660).It just hang. Have to go failsafe mode and type:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
reboot to failsafe mode(tty) again
sudo apt purge nvidia-*
sudo autoremove
reboot to failsafe mode(tty) again
sudo apt install nvidia-driver
or
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-440(or 418)

Sometimes i dont want to use any computers :D Getting tired of all 'puters.
When i calm down, back to windows and linux lol.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
In terms of performance not protection :
Lightest is built in SRP , H_C without defender
Second comodo cruel sister voodoo shield ,OS Armour
Third wise vector ,cylance, webroot
Still light but some noticable impact in low end computers
Panda, Qihoo360 ,Eset

More noticeable but not too much for 99% of mid range + users .
Eset , Norton bitdefender configere defender, f secure, Kaspersky .
Havent seen anyone to mention immunet in a while, but be ready for bunch of false positives

Also comodo antivirus vs windows defender is win for comodo antivirus , since the av is one of the lightest there (aswell disables WD) and just run container with cs settings, block mode or atleast have it enabled will do enough

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Havent seen anyone to mention immunet in a while, but be ready for bunch of false positives

Also comodo antivirus vs windows defender is win for comodo antivirus , since the av is one of the lightest there (aswell disables WD) and just run container with cs settings, block mode or atleast have it enabled will do enough
Forgot immunet anyway pretty weak as well as webroot if not worse then webroot

Reactions: TairikuOkami

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.