Compare list
Avast free
Kaspersky free

robboman

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I'm looking for a free AV to install on a friend's new laptop. I'm thinking about either Avast free or Kaspersky free. I have not used both products in a while so I'm wondering do they display add/popups? And can this be disabled for either of them? Thanks! šŸ˜

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
So...you said that av-comparatives, av-test, selabs, avlab + shadowra's Avast free test are unreliable? Because all of them rated Avast as top/one of the best products.
You have opinion? If your opinion is not based on facts...is rubbish?
I believe in verdictable facts, not tests where they can falsify. You laugh, but I make fun of those who believe everything they read, there have already been reports of falsification of the tests where they were classified with good marks when the performance in real time and in reality is different.

That is, when you have several people going to forums asking to remove malware or computer shops with antivirus like avast or avg and even then it detects virtually nothing and is infected with many viruses. Maybe then you won't find it funny and realize that their protection is not that good as ESET, BitDefender, Emsisoft, Kaspersky, GData.
Besides, I have knowledge in that. It's not because they have good ratings that they are good, anyone can wave their hand with a suitcase full of money. That's abusive marketing but it works.

In reality when you test in day to day life the performance you saw in the rating is down or worse. And when you get down to it, they're not even sophisticated viruses.

You still believe them, some say they are independent others don't disclose and there have been some that have even been paid to boost their ratings.

The same thing they say about Microsoft Defender, however we see companies with virus and malware problems, sometimes even basic ones and even then it was not detected (I know a few stories), don't tell me you are one of those who says that Windows Defender is enough in companies! :LOL:

But that's just me, just because I'm not naive and fall for that crap. I like to "filter" what they say about tests and not trust 100%. But probably you see Panda or Avast with 98%, 95% of detection but when you test for a long period of time sometimes it doesn't even reach that on a daily basis is that reality speaks :)

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I believe in verdictable facts, not tests where they can falsify.
Avast is too good for it's own good, it requires user's interaction and that is the problem, so while it might perform great in tests, in a real life, it is as good as the user.

Let the Avast alone, Kaspersky without of doubt is much better.
Kaspersky was good, I always recommended it as the best AV in the world, but after Ukraine situtation, it has changed for the worse, it is as bad as a virus, but people still hold onto their believes and memories from the past, that is admirable, but not very practical. Ewido was good, as well as Spybot or Superantispyware, but times change and so do apps. It is time to move on.

Upvote 0

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Avast is too good for it's own good, it requires user's interaction and that is the problem, so while it might perform great in tests, in a real life, it is as good as the user.

Kaspersky was good, I always recommended it as the best AV in the world, but after Ukraine situtation, it has changed for the worse, it is as bad as a virus, but people still hold onto their believes and memories from the past, that is admirable, but not very practical. Ewido was good, as well as Spybot or Superantispyware, but times change and so do apps. It is time to move on.
I have nothing to do with war, war is something that we forum users cannot solve unfortunately. Now about Kaspersky being russian and having backdoors.
Well do you trust in US company like Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and Windows? They also have own backdoors for the special agencies :)

I am not telling you to stop using it, what I said is based on my personal experience and opinion and facts of friends and close people with Avast, AVG and a computer full of viruses. While with Kaspersky or Bitdefender the incidence is much lower even with lay users.

It is strange how a computer can be more "clean" with kaspersky, eset, bitdefender than Windows Defender, Avast or McAffee I must be seeing too much stuff...

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have nothing to do with war, war is something that we forum users cannot solve unfortunately. Now about Kaspersky being russian and having backdoors.
I was not referring to the Kaspersky as being Russian, I am slav, totally pro-Russian, Kaspersky just went bad, probably because of all the restrictions set upon it.
While Kaspersky made some workarounds, they are ment to be temporary, but this situation is far from being temporary. Kaspersky is just out of the game right now.

Upvote 0

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Avast, not even a competition. Avast includes the Firewall, Ransomware Shield and Hardened Mode in the Free version. Kaspersky's three equivalent feeatrues are only present in the paid version.

Both are better and lighter than Windows Defender, your PC will run faster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I don't know if You already saw my answer about that matter of "Existing Virus Removal" in KFA, in Wilders:

Anyway, I will post again here, for any user is also interested in that:

This last one does not perform any malware removal, but restore some changes that malware could change in the system.
Yes, I think those are separate tools.

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014

I think all AVs involve user interaction. Also, in some cases Avast doesn't, which is why I have to go to the quarantine section and exclude false positives.

My understanding is that the data processing of Kaspersky is located in Switzerland. Given that, I don't understand how that situation changes its performance.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Trident and Thigas
Upvote 0

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Avast, not even a competition. Avast includes the Firewall, Ransomware Shield and Hardened Mode in the Free version. Kaspersky's three equivalent feeatrues are only present in the paid version.

Both are better and lighter than Windows Defender, your PC will run faster.
Is that Avast One? I tested it using NovaBench, and it's even heavier than Windows Defender in my system.

Upvote 0

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Is that Avast One? I tested it using NovaBench, and it's even heavier than Windows Defender in my system.
No. Avast Free Antivirus. Avast One is not available in my country, unless I want to use the english version.
There are plenty of tests showing that Avast is lighter than Defender, especially if you harden Defender. I've recently changed from Defender to Avast and opening the briwser/wensites is faster and with less fan noise.

Reactions: Trident and roger_m
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Neither.

Gen Digital Inc. (formerly Symantec Corporation and NortonLifeLock) is a multinational software company co-headquartered in Tempe, Arizona and Prague, Czech Republic. Its portfolio includes Norton, Avast, LifeLock, Avira, AVG, ReputationDefender, and CCleaner.

After completing their merger with Avast in September 2022, the company adopted the name Gen Digital Inc.

Microsoft Defender Antivirus paired with healthy security practices and regular backups. All browsers with an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin or Adguard) and optionally Malwarebytes Browser Guard for newer PC users.

Another choice is Emsisoft Anti-Malware, it's not Free.

Nothing is immune to all malware, and poor interaction choices with unknown Internet sources (ie. websites, social media, searches, emails) are an added risk.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
My understanding is that the data processing of Kaspersky is located in Switzerland. Given that, I don't understand how that situation changes its performance.
Simple, it is Russian, that by itself closes many doors thanks to EU/US. Even Microsoft and certificate authorities denied Russia some resources, so it does not matter where it is located.

Upvote 0

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
No. Avast Free Antivirus. Avast One is not available in my country, unless I want to use the english version.
There are plenty of tests showing that Avast is lighter than Defender, especially if you harden Defender. I've recently changed from Defender to Avast and opening the briwser/wensites is faster and with less fan noise.
Thanks. I got confused with the reference to the firewall, which I didn't install.

It's indeed lighter than Defender, at least given my NovaBench scores. Meanwhile, Avast One is even heavier than Defender, and components can't be uninstalled. Also, there's no dark mode.

Upvote 0

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Simple, it is Russian, that by itself closes many doors thanks to EU/US. Even Microsoft and certificate authorities denied Russia some resources, so it does not matter where it is located.
But it's still doing well in terms of performance, system impact, and usability; I think it's one of the top AVs, together with Avast and BD. Also, most countries aren't following EU/US sanctions. Even various EU countries are moving away from the same because they realize they need to continue doing business.

• +Reputation
Reactions: transformer69
Upvote 0

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
You're saying that Kaspersky's detection is weaker nowadays because of lack of resources. You have references for this? Why is no one talking about it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
PIcked up a 2 year license for Kaspersky Plus last November, after looking at various tests, reviews, etc of the various antiviruses. I'm loving it, and I don't care where it's from.. I also use WPS office free (Chinese), and have Shadow Defender on board (also Chinese). When the west starts building programs equal to Kaspersky, WPS office, and Shadow Defender maybe I'll switch. I don't see it happening any time soon.

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
PIcked up a 2 year license for Kaspersky Plus last November, after looking at various tests, reviews, etc of the various antiviruses. I'm loving it, and I don't care where it's from.. I also use WPS office free (Chinese), and have Shadow Defender on board (also Chinese). When the west starts building programs equal to Kaspersky, WPS office, and Shadow Defender maybe I'll switch. I don't see it happening any time soon.
I'm unfamiliar with WPS Office, been using LibreOffice. Is WPS a "continuation" of WordPerfect software?

Upvote 0

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
You're saying that Kaspersky's detection is weaker nowadays because of lack of resources. You have references for this? Why is no one talking about it?
wrong it has best home av detection

Kaspersky beats avast hardened mode any day

I go for Kaspersky easily. In terms of threat intelligence it has the best out of any security product. Also, its behavioral blocker is MUCH better than Avasts - even on hardened mode.
Even its scanner is superior aswell, its Heuristics technology is really good. In every way possible its superior.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.