Battle Free: Avast vs Bitdefender vs Kaspersky vs Others

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
  1. I know this topic has been done to death, but considering the recent changes in Kaspersky Free and that my subscription for a paid IS is almost ending, I would like to know which is a good choice for a freeware antivirus w.r.t features, protection & performance. I have never tried BitDefender Free or Kaspersky Free even though I have heard great reviews about it

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
For me works perfect. perhaps because I use windows 8.1?? I don't know
Yes, I also have this issue in my lap with W10 Pro x64 + KSCloud Free 2019...

Also KSCloud Free is not actually a cloud av, about protection and securiyty in general it works in the same way as KIS/KAV/KTS, the word cloud there is explained here:
https://www.kaspersky.com/security-cloud

1536484981818.png

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Block avastui.exe connections and you will get rid of all ads and nags ;)
Its not only that, avast sends a lot of traffic to other servers and know what you are doing ... for me its simple, i will never use their software again, like i banned their other stuff like Ccleaner.
With other alternatives like KFA , Bd free , Panda ..... i will never use avast.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender Antivirus because it's the only one I've used consistently on Windows 10.

Exclusive features in 3rd party Antivirus are overrated.

Instead of fussing with Antivirus to use, why not focus on keeping software updated, harden the OS, lockdown the browser and keep a backup.

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Its not only that, avast sends a lot of traffic to other servers and know what you are doing ... for me its simple, i will never use their software again, like i banned their other stuff like Ccleaner.
With other alternatives like KFA , Bd free , Panda ..... i will never use avast.
For that, you need to block some IPs Avast Free Antivirus (2018) - Product Screenshots
But I understand what you mean, if you don't trust an AV vendor, there's no reason to use it, especially because there are a lot of good alternatives

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Windows Defender Antivirus because it's the only one I've used consistently on Windows 10.

Instead of fussing with Antivirus to use, why not focus on keeping software updated, harden the OS, lockdown the browser and keep a backup.

Exactly what I was thinking!

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Maybe I'm not lucky with WD, but when I tried it, it constantly caused disk and cpu usage and it even forced my pc to reboot...

I don't think so, features like Avast's hardened mode have been copied by Microsoft (zero tolerance blocking mode), even if not that successfully.

I couldn't agree more (y)

L

Local Host

I haven't seen the Update bug on KFA, it's always up-to-date every day automatically on my mate laptop. KCS though, does have major bugs on Windows 10 at the moment, I won't recommend it until it's Stable.

Big Defender is extremely problematic on Windows 10, and heavy on the resources.

Avast has nothing against the other two besides the hardened mode, it has a shady privacy policy on top!
Exactly what I was thinking!
Windows Defender is a resource hog compared to Third-Party AVs, not to mention most of the options for it can only be tweaked and enabled through group policy and regedit.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I haven't seen the Update bug on KFA, it's always up-to-date every day automatically on my mate laptop. KCS though, does have major bugs on Windows 10 at the moment, I won't recommend it until it's Stable.

Big Defender is extremely problematic on Windows 10, and heavy on the resources.

Avast has nothing against the other two besides the hardened mode, it has a shady privacy policy on top!

Windows Defender is a resource hog compared to Third-Party AVs, not to mention most of the options for it can only be tweaked and enabled through group policy and regedit.

That's why Andy made Configure Defender! But now we're off topic. :)

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Its only a personal opinion, but I think security software is worth paying money for these days. Free software is good, but I feel more comfortable with a full security suite and the option of support if needed. I base my choice of provider on reputation and reviews- not price. Having watched various testing results over a long period of time, Kaspersky and Norton seem to score consistently well.

L

Local Host

Its only a personal opinion, but I think security software is worth paying money for these days. Free software is good, but I feel more comfortable with a full security suite and the option of support if needed. I base my choice of provider on reputation and reviews- not price. Having watched various testing results over a long period of time, Kaspersky and Norton seem to score consistently well.
I believe it's actually the opposite, with solutions like Kaspersky Free that have everything you need in terms of basic security.

Most of the additional modules paid products have, I consider clutter, like Software Updater, Password Manager, Backups, etc. Even though they contribute to your security in one or another, paying for those extra features with better free alternatives like KeePass (Password Manager) is a no go.

In my point of view the only feature missing is the Firewall, but then again, the Windows Firewall does the job just a well when properly setup.

As for Support, they tend to be useless, unless you have a direct line with the developers. I don't bother with Support in any company as I end up with robots (humans actually) who read from a script and have knowledge far inferior to mine (so they useless in terms of help).

Last edited:

Black Wings

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Currently my favorite free AV is kaspersky (KFA), but lately I'm really liking Forticlient.

The truth is that all of the above are good options.

Currently I use on one computer (W8.1) KFA + NVTERP and on another (W10) CF (CS Settings + HIPS in safe mode) + WD

They both run smoothly and, I think, safely.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are lots of possible reasons why WDA won't run smooth; conflicting software or hardware problems. Resource hog is a lame excuse for not to use WDA, find a better respond from your book. Every software will consume CPU, RAM and Storage at some stage of use. Mainly during an intensive scans or applying updates. If WDA is running 100% 24/7, then it's something wrong with your PC.

L

Local Host

There are lots of possible reasons why WDA won't run smooth; conflicting software or hardware problems. Resource hog is a lame excuse for not to use WDA, find a better respond from your book. Every software will consume CPU, RAM and Storage at some stage of use. Mainly during an intensive scans or applying updates. If WDA is running 100% 24/7, then it's something wrong with your PC.
If something was wrong with my PC I would notice a performance hit in way more demanding Software (Sony Vegas, AutoCAD, Games), everyone knows how heavy WD is on the disk, with constant I/O calls.

Should I mention the fact Visual Studio takes almost 1 min. to compile a large project with WD on, and with WD off it takes 5 segs.?

Not to mention it would affect other AV Software as well. PC runs perfectly with no performance hit while using Kaspersky (which I no longer use, since I don't need AV in the first place).

As much as I would like to use and recommend WD, fact is, is the most heavy AV on the market (and anyone who isn't affected is among the lucky few). Thankfully I'm not the only one who thinks this, with multiple Topics complaining on the Microsoft Community and other Communities, as well AV Test Labs all agreeing as well (with WD always behind the rest of the flock in performance).

Brute forcing with hardware and claiming there's no problem, is not alright. Is the same as running a game with a Titan X and claim it's optimized for mid range.

This is only talking performance of course, in terms of signatures WD is behind as well, and the fact most settings are hidden behind group policy and regedit as well as disabled by default is another minus.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.