Battle Free: Avast vs Bitdefender vs Kaspersky vs Others

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
  1. I know this topic has been done to death, but considering the recent changes in Kaspersky Free and that my subscription for a paid IS is almost ending, I would like to know which is a good choice for a freeware antivirus w.r.t features, protection & performance. I have never tried BitDefender Free or Kaspersky Free even though I have heard great reviews about it

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
  1. I know this topic has been done to death, but considering the recent changes in Kaspersky Free and that my subscription for a paid IS is almost ending, I would like to know which is a good choice for a freeware antivirus w.r.t features, protection & performance. I have never tried BitDefender Free or Kaspersky Free even though I have heard great reviews about it
I would definitely consider Kaspersky!Good protection and from independent testing and great results in the Malware Hub.
Furthermore it has a good set of features for a free package.
Q&A - Kaspersky Security Cloud Free
Statistics here

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Kaspersky free (especially the security cloud version) is indeed good and full-featured, but Avast's hardened mode is a great feature that few AVs offer.
Plus, i found some bugs in Kaspersky. Kaspersky free didn't update signatures automatically, i had to open the gui and manually update them. Kaspersky security cloud gave a false warning on windows security center about the firewall being disable

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I've used to use Avast free for a long period of time but now I've changed to Kaspersky. Honestly both have their merits, Avast being able to be customized more than Kaspersky because Kaspersky free limits it's customizability unless you are willing to pay. I would say that the signatures are almost equally as good, Avast having a greater reach in the community with more users.

One thing that Kaspersky lacks is a behavioral blocker on their free version, while Avast has taken AVG's behavioral blocker and integrated it into their own protection. However Kaspersky provides analysis with their Kaspersky Security Network (KNS) which can provide a speedier response to threats that spread fast and wide.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avast free:
- Pros:
+ always up-to-date with streaming updates which deliver tiny signature packages frequently
+ extremely low memory usage: both physical and virtual
+ easy on disk usage especially after tweaking
+ very customizable, can modify almost every option except for a few
+ modular installation which allows removing/adding components you want
+ very powerful hardened mode against exe malwares which works regardless of the file tag, unlike smartscreen which works only if the file has the tag of being downloaded from the internet. It works flawless in conjunction with syshardener or any script blocker. This combo yielded 100% protection in MT hub for a month
+ can be tweaked for much faster performance
- Cons:
+ ads, popups, bloatwares and privacy issues
+ buggy especially from its behavior shield and hardware virtualization feature => both can be disabled
+ unoptimized web shield which can cause higher CPU usage while browsing
+ so-so webfilter, more effective than most but not as good as the other 2
+ very poor phishing protection because web shield doesn't include the latest phishing database. It only includes frequently visited phishing pages. The latest phishing database only includes in Avast Online Security extension
+ not good against script based malwares, so-so against ransomwares (default settings)
+ so-so against PUPs, still better than the other 2
+ must register for a new free license yearly, or it will completely stop working, literally (AVG doesn't require any license but lacks hardened mode)

Kaspersky free:
- Pros:
+ relatively lightweight after tweaking, still feels heavier than avast due to its slow scanning speed and cache wiping after system restart (noticeable when opening a folder with full of exe files despite scan on execution is enabled)
+ The best signatures, cloud and behavior blocker, period
+ very effective (post-)exploit protection
+ one of the best web filters, better than the other 2 in comparison
+ strong BB against ransomwares
+ can be very customizable
- Cons:
+ not always up-to-date, sometimes signatures are outdated without automatic update
+ heavy web filter and very buggy. Frequent problems with its fake certificate. Code injection increases CPU usage significantly, can be disabled
+ high virtual memory usage, easy on physical memory usage
+ not so good against PUPs and adwares, improved by enabling an option

Bitdefender free:
- Pros:
+ good signatures, good webfilter, not as good as kaspersky
+ stronger BB than avast, not as good as Kaspersky
+ quite light after a week of using, not as light as avast
+ easy-to-use UI
- Cons:
+ very limited customization
+ not always up-to-date, can't trigger manual update.
+ nags, which can be disabled
+ cloud feature is very poor compared to the others. It works when the signatures are outdated only and only on execution. I've never seen it detecting anything when sigs are fully updated
+ really heavy on virtual memory usage, easy on physical memory
+ not good against PUPs, adwares -> CAN'T be improved due to a lack of settings
+ freezes the PC when updating. Large signature packages
+BB is useless against zero-day MBR-encrypting ransomwares (petya, nonpetya, goldeneye,...)
+ not the lightest webfilter

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
No longer needed Register Avast Free Antivirus
By the way, great review mate (y)
it's false info from avast. In reality, if we don't register for the new license by clicking some buttons, it will stop working and the internet must be needed in order to register. It won't work in offline or avastUI.exe is blocked, confirmed by the developer
trust me, I got 2 PC stopped working because of that

it's very dangerous for us to install avast for other novice users because they don't know how to register for the new license. They just click X button to close the windows

I don't trust most info provided by any vendor

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
it's false info from avast. In reality, if we don't register for the new license by clicking some buttons, it will stop working and the internet must be needed in order to register. It won't work in offline or avastUI.exe is blocked
trust me, I got 2 PC stopped working because of that

I don't trust most info provided by any vendor
When I installed Avast, I blocked avastUI.exe as you suggested, so avastUI.exe has never had access to internet.
At first, I did get a warning about a license problem, but when I allowed other Avast processes (not sure whether instup.exe, avemupdate.exe, avastsvc.exe or overseer.exe), the free license was automatically enabled.
So, for sure you need to be online to activate it, but avastUI.exe is not required.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
When I installed Avast, I blocked avastUI.exe as you suggested, so avastUI.exe has never had access to internet.
At first, I did get a warning about a license problem, but when I allowed other Avast processes (not sure whether instup.exe, avemupdate.exe, avastsvc.exe or overseer.exe), the free license was automatically enabled.
So, for sure you need to be online to activate it, but avastUI.exe is not required.
I got that problem in the older versions. Not sure if it has changed now
If I didn't unblockk avastui, license is never received

but all I want is avast should do everything in the background without the license expire nag because average users will ignore it
AVG seems to be the best alternative

yesterday, I disinfected a w7 unprotected PC and installed kaspersky free instead of avast free as usual
I don't want anyone to be in trouble

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I got that problem in the older versions. Not sure if it has changed now
If I didn't unblockk avastui, license is never received

but all I want is avast should do everything in the background without the license expire nag because average users will ignore it
AVG seems to be the best alternative

yesterday, I disinfected a w7 unprotected PC and installed kaspersky free instead of avast free as usual
I don't want anyone to be in trouble
Well, if I keep Avast Free for more than one year in a row, I'll let you know about the licence :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Kaspersky free (especially the security cloud version) is indeed good and full-featured, but Avast's hardened mode is a great feature that few AVs offer.
Plus, i found some bugs in Kaspersky. Kaspersky free didn't update signatures automatically, i had to open the gui and manually update them. Kaspersky security cloud gave a false warning on windows security center about the firewall being disable
KSC on my system have not any problem, Works perfect.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I beleive @Evjl's Rain post says it all.
In the end out of these 3 options you want to ask your self what is more important best protection
or best performance?
I am always going with the second because i am not a happy clicker:p
And i want to mention something.
Even though KSC Free is a cloud av, BD Free is a stripd version of BD paid av and in Avast you can do a custom install
all these 3 software take almost or more than 1 GB of space on your hard disk.
By todays standards maybe it's not much but if you have an SSD with limited space like mine you want to consider that.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.