Free Lightweight Anti Virus

Carbonite

Thread author
Jul 31, 2015
I tried Avira, lagged my netbook loads and took a while to actually uninstall. I will not try comodo on it as I use it on my desktop and it's not really light.

Think I'll try panda next, if panda causes problems I will try 360.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Defender + Windows Firewall for browsing opera with addons, light setup.

Reactions: RmG152

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
"BD Free is old and ineffective.": Just not true. Still effetive and get updates. its not old or ineffective! Would nice if u tell facts that are true.
Look in the about section of the program: it's 2013. I call that 'old' for security software. Ineffective: see my test elsewhere in the forum.
Generally, when calling someone out on 'facts', one presents 'facts'. ;) Attack the point, not the person.

Costum install and u have no problems with bloat
I don't mean just the extra features (the software updater is actually really nifty and one can't resist the 'Pirate talk' language); I mean it is slow and collapses under its own weight.

I like avast; I hope they turn it back around and I think they may. Until then, I can't recommend it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I recently installed Windows 10 onto my netbook, it has very poor specs and I'm wondering what anti virus I should use, it needs to be free and lightweight so I can still use my netbook for browsing with it open without it using up all of the system resources.

Thanks
I have a netbook running Windows 8.1 Update (32-bit), it's painfully slow on max performance.

If you recently upgraded to Windows 10, backup your data and enter recovery options to reset your PC. It will reinstall Windows 10 and remove any installed applications.

I use Windows Defender, Smartscreen and Firewall on a Standard user account. An administrator account that is password protected against misuse.

The only other program alongside Windows Defender is Unchecky.

What do you think about the above setup?

Reactions: Kuttz

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Remember to completely uninstall the antivirus software, manual removal may be required for some left over or dormant drivers.

Reactions: Oxygen

Carbonite

Thread author
Jul 31, 2015
My computer was struggling with avira, struggled to even getting to the uninstaller, as soon as it was uninstalled it was at a useable speed.
I don't really know about avast as some people are saying it's not really light.
Windows Defender is alright but ram usage on it sometimes goes to like 512mb RAM which is half of the RAM in the netbook.

It is a clean installation by the way.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

I don't know why but windows defender seems to use quite alot of RAM at times...

Microsoft has not optimized the memory-usage of Windows Defender scan... so it can be extremely memory intensive.

Memory and CPU usage can be even worse if it detects malware. During the quarantine process it can cause system instability, freezes and sluggishness... and take quite a long time to finish.

These sorts of issues seem to be highly system specific.

Reactions: Nikos751
H

hjlbx

Better avoid Avira Free. Avira Free is a pretty weak single layer Anti virus. Avira Free only have a basic file system real time shield and doesn't have web scanning or any advanced security features. People believe Avira Free is good because reviews says good about them (av-test, av-comparatives etc). But the reality is that these reviews are all based on Avira Pro and no reviews based on Avira Free available. Using an anti virus based on single layer only file system shield is risky these days. If a malware got passed Avira free's file system shield you surely get infected.

The best choices in free AV would be Avast Free 2015 (Better offline detection) or Panda Free 2015 (fastest, strong zero day threat detection)

Avira Pro has no significant protection capabilities over Avira Free. Sure, the user gets a list of features, but most of them are essentially worthless in terms of adding any real system protections.

The difference between Avira Pro and Free test results is always about 5 % or less... so the web-shield of the Pro version adds little.

You can find regular testing of Avira Free here: https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index

Avira Free is the logical choice, since the Pro version costs $40 + (US) - which is way over-priced for what the user gets.

Avira Free is absolutely better than Windows Defender if the user so chooses to supplement their system security...

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
After years of using AVs, from Symantec era all the way to ESET, having tried them all, I will give my honest and humble opinion:

If you have Windows Defender with WIndows Firewall and Smart Screen, do not visit torrents/download pirated games and visit risky websites, you will be perfectly fine with that combo.

I have been a well known user of ESET, wrote an extensive guide in how to harden the ESET HIPS to its full potential. Have used combos like AV + former Emsisoft Behaviour Blocker (Mamutu) (you can even ask the staff here: I asked for a 1 year Mamutu license instead of other more common choices a few years back), having tested either Gnosis or Overkill's behaviour blocker which wasn't updated in over the years, was an avid user of CIS 5.10 and even used avg for its behaviour blocker. In the end I was never infected. I did a test back then for 2 months constant use of system without any AV, just Windows 7 + Smart Screen ( no firewall because I am a gamer and at the time, it did interfere with some of the games I played online. Results after 2 months AVless = zero infections.

So my recomendation is what I believe Hurracan always said: Windows Defender with firewall + UAC + Smart Screen + common sense is the best security. No need to over complicate things.

If WD is not enough for your needs then look at the free options (AVG, AVAST, AVIRA etc) but before going for it, visit their forums, read newest 3 pages to identify issues. AVAST is a prime example. AVG has issues reported but those are additional components mainly not present in free version.

to counter the argument of A or B AV is better than Windows Defender: detection rate is not 100% secure. Nothing is, same as Real Life, one always has to adapt.

Is WD inferior in terms of signatures to the rest? Perhaps but that is because people do not use it often and don't report infections ( I always reported to ESET, COMODO and even Windows). Does it have all bells and whistles? Nope it doesn't. Is it user friendly? Yes.
Is it light? Yes

To put into prespective, give 3 systems to the same user who's habits are to visit unsecure, infected, spamfest, malware fest sites, click yes on anything in terms of downloads/website pop ups (not to be confused by AV solution popups) type of user:
System with AVG (default settings)
System with AVAST (default settings)
System with WD + WFW + Smartscreen + UAC (basically windows default settings out of box)

1 month later go see which one protected most. You will be surprised. Do that test yourself. Ive done mine and people who knew me from before will know the answer.

Just my 2 cents and experience. Feel free to disagree. And no, this aint to discredit others while giving credit blindly to Microsoft.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
I recently installed Windows 10 onto my netbook, it has very poor specs and I'm wondering what anti virus I should use, it needs to be free and lightweight so I can still use my netbook for browsing with it open without it using up all of the system resources.

Thanks

If you are using the netbook only for general purpose and not using any Windows proprietary software, then why don't you try Linux?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
...except that every box I've rebuilt for clients/acquaintances that was rendered unusable by malware all had....<drumroll please>...

Windows Defender and Smartscreen!

Tada.wav

And these are regular folk who don't go looking for crackz & warez and such...

Otherwise, I agree: out-of-the-box Windows with an adblocker and Internet-savvy due diligence and not looking under the bridges of the Information Superhighway, you'll be fine.

Most likely.

Probably.

Don't blink.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
360 TSE with all engines enabled, next to none FP (okay 3, when I made a fresh install), no noticeable system impact, blazingly fast scans + removal / cleanup. Combined with HitmanPro + Alert for enhanced security. See my Config for more details. Much more happy than with BD (IS 2015 was very resource hungry) and KIS (crashed when scanning and cleaning up one of those Malware Packs, after that, had to reinstall Win 10).

Please note that HitmanPro is paid (but money is spent well).

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
if you have 64x you can use F-Secure Antivirus Ultra (very low memory usage & it's FREE). :)

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Yes, I think when it will come out of beta they will have 32 and 64 bit versions.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello.

My combos for a free Security Suite for low-end computers. Mine is low-end netbook too. 1.6 Ghz Single Core, 2GB RAM

1.) Windows Defender + UAC Standard or Max + Windows Firewall + SmartScreen + MCShield
2.) Windows Defender + UAC Standard or Max + Windows Firewall + SmartScreen + MCShield + VoodooShield Free
3.) Panda 2016 Free + UAC Standard or Max + Windows Firewall + SmartScreen + MCShield

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.