Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Cant open new documents with word and excel
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Nothing rilevant
Guys is working for u? Currently i can only open new documents with powerpoint only. I dont know if can be a problem of compatibility with hard configurator (the only security program i am using).

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Office online can only open the new format of Word docs, which is .docx
If you have the old format .doc then you must first convert it to .docx
@shmu26 is correct, but Office online even does that automatic as I renewed Onedrive yesterday I tried upload a .doc file. Very fast and smooth convert feature.

Upvote 0

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
LibreOffice it's a free and better alternative than running a webapp version of MS Office, I have a Windows VM to check compatibility with O2019 but I haven't found any serious problem (aside from minor cosmetic issues) between those (basic Word documents and uni Excel spreadsheets with stats tables, formulas and graphs).

Upvote 0

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've never liked the online apps due to our sometimes problematic electric service here in the boondocks of the USA. I have MS Office 2007, which has never failed me, and I'm checking out WPS Office (and am really liking it). So far, moving documents from 2007 to WPS and vice versa is flawless. No problems of any kind.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.