Battle Free Security Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Mine is comodo; it's complete IS that gets updates frequently, the user can utilize the full potential of it and uses low resources. Zone offer only once a day, outpost releases the programs full potential once the product is bought and fortiClient is more or less an AV compared to the other products.

P

Plexx

Forticlient Lite should not be on the list for one reason: It does not contain a firewall.

A security suite is composed of AV Solution + Firewall and as an added bonus some extras like Parental control or sandbox etc.

There are not many free Security Suites.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
The firewall in Outpost is one of the very best, and although it has some limitations in the free version, is very capable. The AV module, VB100 certified, is adequate and eclipsed by the suite's still excellent proactive protection.

The problem with Outpost would be the lack of active development, or rather the slow technology trickle down the product offerings chain from Agnitum - the free version has been released so long ago and hasn't been updated nearly as often as it should, to be able to keep a competitive edge. The last update was released back in Feb 2011 and that brought the ability to run manual signature updates [the automatic mode was set to update once every 24 hours] and a German translation.

In the meantime, Comodo introduced virtualisation/sandboxing; polished Defence+ and in my subjective opinion improved the overall usability of CIS.

As much as I like Outpost, it's really hard to look past Comodo in this comparison.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Biozfear said:
Forticlient Lite should not be on the list for one reason: It does not contain a firewall.

A security suite is composed of AV Solution + Firewall and as an added bonus some extras like Parental control or sandbox etc.

There are not many free Security Suites.

Agree, it should be change to FortiClient Standard which is a full security suite. The Lite version is just an AV.

Let me break down the options:

1. Zonealarm Free AV + Firewall
* Is updated regularly (uses the same core components as their paid products)
* Has excellent Advanced Download Protection (Its own download manager that scans all files with Kaspersky before downloading them)
* Excellent user friendly firewall
* Very lite on resources for most systems
* Strong Antivirus (Kaspersky)
* DefenseNet Behavior blocker (user friendly)
* Easy to configure

2. Outpost Security Suite Free
* Is usually only updated once yearly if that (always uses out-dated core components compared to their paid products)
* Excellent firewall, not as user friendly as ZoneAlarm
* A bit heavy on resources
* Good Anitivirus (VirusBuster) but not one of the best.
* Pretty good HIPS (may require manual tweaking to allow your software to function)
* A bit complicated for the average user

3. Comodo Internet Security (just listing the basics)
* Is in constant development although slow
* Excellent firewall (not user friendly)
* One of the best HIPS (Defense +)
* Good sandbox (Auto Sandbox will sometimes interfere with software)
* Lite on resources for some systems
* Sometimes has unresolved bugs that takes forever to get fixed.
* Sometime has unstable upgrades that can cause issues
* Weak Antivirus
* Requires constant maintenance and manually tweaking
* Complicated for the average user

4. FortiClient Standard
* Slow development
* Excellent firewall (not user friendly)
* Excellent Web and Network Guard (one of the best for zero-day malware)
* Pretty good Antivirus
* A bit heavy on resources
* Requires constant maintenance and manually tweaking
* A bit complicated for the average user

Others not listed:

Roboscan Internet Security Free (uses BitDefender and their own engine)
Rising Internet Security (is free if downloaded from their Chinese servers)
I have never tried either one.

And the winner is Zonealarm Free AV + Firewall.

Enjoy!!:D

D

Deleted member 178

i know, OA has a daily small signature update and is linked to Emsisoft's cloud, so the malware will still be blocked if it tries to infect the system.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Littlebits: Correct me if i am wrong that in free zonealarm av you have to manually update it.

On the topic:
I think CIS is clear winner for me,Cis compete and give good fight even in polling of paid security suite where giant name like kaspersky and eset exists.

Thanks

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Stranger said:
Littlebits: Correct me if i am wrong that in free zonealarm av you have to manually update it.

On the topic:
I think CIS is clear winner for me,Cis compete and give good fight even in polling of paid security suite where giant name like kaspersky and eset exists.

Thanks

The free version of ZoneAlarm gets one auto update daily but you can manually update it anytime. That is the only limitation in the free version.

I'm sure you can use Windows Task Scheduler and schedule it to update more often.

CIS will always be a winner for paranoid users and users who like to tweak their security products. Our forum is full of Comodo fanboys because it is no surprise that it comes out on top in all the polls.

For most users CIS is too difficult to use and configure and doesn't provide any better protection than other options, it interferes with a lot of software requiring manual tweaking. It has bugs that most users don't know how to deal with. CIS is extremely popular on security forums but in reality, most users have never heard of it before.

I haven been running my home computer business since 2002 and I can only remember one customer that had Comodo installed and they brought their system in to have it removed before it was causing problems.

If CIS was as popular as what the polls indicate then I would see more systems with it installed on and I don't see it.

Enjoy!!:D

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Agree with you, I know people who don't have much knowledge about computer security and who uses computer for their work rather then playing with security products fear comodo product .

Off topic: I see many general user using windows firewall or zonealarm firewall along with free av like avast,avira or mse but not with zonealarm av.

D

Deleted member 178

I agree Comodo is mostly known by geeks, the common users will go for KIS or NIS or BDIS, because those products are sold in stores with full exposure.

Secondly, i always repeated that an HIPS is not for common users, it is like putting a check point in the middle of your artery, if the "controller" make a mistake you got a "cardiac arrest".

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
I agree Comodo is mostly known by geeks, the common users will go for KIS or NIS or BDIS, because those products are sold in stores with full exposure.

Here, I'll give the list for all of the Paid security products I seen in stores:

Kaspersky
Trend Micro
McAfee
Norton
Webroot
MBAM Pro
PC Tools
AVG

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
3link9 said:
Here, I'll give the list for all of the Paid security products I seen in stores:

Kaspersky
Trend Micro
McAfee
Norton
Webroot
MBAM Pro
PC Tools
AVG

The most common ones that has been seen here is Norton and Trend. Have not seen Webroot in a while and PC Tools.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
never seen PC tools, Webroot,
but our local dealers keep Kaspersky, Norton, Trend, ESET, Panda, Avast, QuickHeal ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.