Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That was my error.

I did use Google beforehand, but didn't know there were 2 Forticlient Free versions; Standard and Lite.

Biozfear said:
Forticlient Lite should not be on the list for one reason: It does not contain a firewall.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
woomera said:
i have read good reviews on Zonealarm but never tried it myself so i voted for CIS.

The AV consists of Kaspersky's AV engine with update avaliable once a day and the firewall is their own technology. The firewall is more less like firewall compared to Outpost and CFW that are more complex. Its a decent solution but there are better out there, either as a complete solution or a combination.

Jack made once a review about which you can find more MalwareTips' youtube channel.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
McLovin said:
To get back on topic, what is memory usage like with Zonealarm? Heavy, light?

image001vk.png

zlpx6.png

Does that answer your question?

The first image is while downloading torrents, the second image is when in idle.

Enjoy!!:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Littlebits said:
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/6987/image001vk.png

http://i.imgur.com/zlpx6.png

Does that answer your question?

The first image is while downloading torrents, the second image is when in idle.

Yes it did, thanks. :) Much, much lighter that Trend, but that's not a surprise. :p

Since it uses Kaspersky's engine might actually be worth testing it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Stranger said:
Agree with you, I know people who don't have much knowledge about computer security and who uses computer for their work rather then playing with security products fear comodo product .

Off topic: I see many general user using windows firewall or zonealarm firewall along with free av like avast,avira or mse but not with zonealarm av.

Over the years there has been a drastic decline in the use of third-party firewalls. I can remember when it has standard to see ZoneAlarm, Outpost, Sygate and Kerio installed to most of my customers systems. Now only a few customers use ZoneAlarm and Outpost, the majority just use Windows Firewall with a router firewall and a free AV. Some ISP provide security firewalls for free. I believe what caused the change was the development in Windows Firewall to make it more secure, the use of routers with firewalls and hackers and spyware no longer a major problem for home users. That is the reason most third-party firewall vendors started making security suites, that way the could stay in business.

Still ZoneAlarm remains to be the most popular third-party firewall to date according the the statics at Cnet.

50,819,573 total downloads for ZoneAlarm Free
---180,332 total downloads For Comodo Firewall

Other download sites also confirm that ZoneAlarm Free is the most popular firewall. Mainly because it is so user-friendly and easy to configure.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
McLovin said:
3link9 said:
Here, I'll give the list for all of the Paid security products I seen in stores:

Kaspersky
Trend Micro
McAfee
Norton
Webroot
MBAM Pro
PC Tools
AVG

The most common ones that has been seen here is Norton and Trend. Have not seen Webroot in a while and PC Tools.
I only seen Webroot and PC tools at Best buy which explains it since you're in Australia, right? I also seen boxed copies of MBAM Pro there which really surprised me.
Here are some web links from their website:
Webroot-Best Buy
PC-Tools/Bestbuy
MBAMPro-BestBuy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used all of these ZoneAlarm, Outpost, Sygate and Kerio and as Littlebits said everyone was using one of them or trying all of them.

My vote went to CIS because I am using it on windows 8 right now and it is an excellent free Security Suite.

My second choice if I had one would have been ZoneAlarm.

P

Plexx

Littlebits said:
Agree, it should be change to FortiClient Standard which is a full security suite. The Lite version is just an AV.

Let me break down the options:

4. FortiClient Standard
* Slow development
* Excellent firewall (not user friendly)
* Excellent Web and Network Guard (one of the best for zero-day malware)
* Pretty good Antivirus
* A bit heavy on resources
* Requires constant maintenance and manually tweaking
* A bit complicated for the average user

Others not listed:

Roboscan Internet Security Free (uses BitDefender and their own engine)
Rising Internet Security (is free if downloaded from their Chinese servers)
I have never tried either one.

And the winner is Zonealarm Free AV + Firewall.

One thing about Forticlient Standard is the amount of processes. Last time I checked it it contained 10 or 11 processes which didn't help the heaviness.

As for Roboform, last time I looked at it it performed ok. Not something I would use however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.