Frost's Security Configuration

Frost

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
Additional: System Specs:

CPU: Intel i5 2760k CPU @ 3.50GHz
GPU: Nvidia GEforce 660 Ti (not clocked)
Fans and Fan Controller: EVGA
Monitor Setup: 2 monitors
Storage: (boot) Samsung Solid State Drive 160GB, secondary 1TB HDD

L

LabZero

If you play with malware you should have a virtualized environment to protect the real system, or a Pc just for this test. You can use Toolwiz Time Freeze (free) or Shadow Defender (paid) or a virtual machine like Virtualbox.

PS: Win 7 SP 2?

MagicTrout

Level 1
Verified
Jun 20, 2015
I see no need in having MBAM and Zemana and Emsisoft installed at the same time. Way too heavy on resources. I'd stick with one Anti Malware. Apart from that seems pretty good :D

Reactions: nissimezra

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Sorry, mistyped that.
I'm *smiling*:):), @Frost, mainly because I'd thought "Oh oh, did I miss a major :eek:update for Windows 7?!".:rolleyes::D

Thank you for sharing your configuration. As @Sloth's experience stated, I too think very highly of Ublock Origin, and @Klipsh's suggestions for the free Time Freeze or paid Shadow Defender are solid virtualization fail safes which I happily use as well. Also, it does my heart good to see you use Self-destructing Cookies which is among my core extensions plus I like CCleaner too!:)

Among my favorite extensions to ensure safer more secure handling of passwords with the added bonus of convenience that also utilizes high encryption security is LastPass which offers a free binary app too.
For an added layer of protection while browsing, the free sandboxing app, Sandboxie, is another effective method of returning to a previous state if you are exposed to Trojans or other pesky malware.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi, I agree with the other precious suggestions, in addition I want to suggest you to install a second browser; Collusion extension that allows you to know which websites are tracking you and Auslogics Disk Defrag, which can improve the speed of your PC with the defragmentation!
For the rest, it is a good config.
Thanks for sharing it ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Happy (safe) browsing, Frost.:):)
As you are now using Chrome Browser, I'll share what I feel increases it's capacity for protecting your privacy as Self-destructing Cookies may be missed.
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    IB7eZ2ht1pEixChJA4xp6iejr1xw3rXY_yJNeHgHajBRTzLB0ldIpEFje8gyeB4ydp6xpQpJ=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Scroll to the bottom, & click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
  • Check the box "Block third party cookies & site date"
  • Mark the circle "Keep site date only until you close your browser"
In addition browsing in "Incognito" window clears history + cookies when the session ends.:D

PS In "settings" uncheck "Remember passwords".

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hey everyone. I'm looking to switch from Avast! Pro to another software. Any suggestions?
Coincidentally, our Avast! Premier expires in 1 week too,:rolleyes: and (curiously) I'd just read a configuration post from one of our knowledgeable Staff members whom also enjoys the finer points of Windows 10: http://malwaretips.com/threads/illuminations-config.20507/page-11#post-423481

PS 14 day trial for Webroot AV: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials/av?trpd=WSAV&loc=USA :D

Reactions: frogboy and JM Safe

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Frost : You may consider Emsisoft AM or ESET AV which are primarily known as common choice by users that you may consider to test and replace. ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hey everyone. I'm looking to switch from Avast! Pro to another software. Any suggestions?
Hi Frost, I suggest you to switch to Avira IS 2015, or AVG Pro 2015, or GData 2015, which is lighter in the latest versions.
So there are a lot of choices you can choose, for example also Avira Antivirus FREE 2015 is good, as it is freeware.
So, make your choice!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.