Advice Request Full computer system lock?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hi,

I wish to know if there is a way to prevent unauthorised access to computer system if it's been stolen?

The unauthorised access includes getting your computer formatted. So I wonder if there's a software that can do that?

So far I know the thieves are not able to access to the programs and folders if they do not have the password. I'm concern if there is a way as well to prevent them from formatting my computer as well? That includes prevent format system via USB (Press F10 thingy if not mistaken) before entering window log-on.

Thanks!

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Personally I always use a standard user account without a password and UAC at max. My admin account is password protected of course. When my computer boots up it automatically logs in to my standard account making it difficult and annoying to try to mess around with it. Also my AV is password protected too so its settings and shields cannot be disabled (uses a different pass from my admin)

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Personally I always use a standard user account without a password and UAC at max. My admin account is password protected of course. When my computer boots up it automatically logs in to my standard account making it difficult and annoying to try to mess around with it. Also my AV is password protected too so its settings and shields cannot be disabled (uses a different pass from my admin)

Thanks for the ideas. I can try this method to lock my apps/programs too.
In anyway, my primary is to prevent the thieves from formatting my laptop even before booting to window. I wonder if it can be done.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Thanks for the ideas. I can try this method to lock my apps/programs too.
In anyway, my primary is to prevent the thieves from formatting my laptop even before booting to window. I wonder if it can be done.

I can't even think of how that could be possible. :p I geuss some of the other members here could also shine some light on the subject.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Enter the Bios setup and add admin/boot password.
Every time you start your pc you ll need to input it to be able to boot.. ..this should prevent boot via usd, cd, dvd...

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Enter the Bios setup and add admin/boot password.
Every time you start your pc you ll need to input it to be able to boot.. ..this should prevent boot via usd, cd, dvd...

I see. That sounds secure then. I wonder if you mind to show me some steps to reach there? Sorry, I'm pretty newbie on programming and stuffs.

Darlene

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
Prevent unauthorized access to computer system if it's been stolen?

Full disk encryption with Veracrypt, Bitlocker or a combination of those 2.

Unauthorized access includes getting your computer formatted?

No, if they get physical access to your computer/drives only encryption will prevent readable access to your personal files.
Keep encrypted back-ups form your files on different locations.

A windows account password and BIOS password can be easily bypassed.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I see. That sounds secure then. I wonder if you mind to show me some steps to reach there? Sorry, I'm pretty newbie on programming and stuffs.

Every pc is different. What is yours?
Hp, dell, Toshiba..?
In general at startup you press a key to enter in the bios setup...if you are lucky it will display what to press...if not,
Try this....Start your pc and press esc or F11, or F1.
In the bios setup, most on the top right you can input 2 kind of password, one to protect access to the bios, one to protect the boot.

e.g
How to Enter Your PC's BIOS
If you google how to access bios setup and your device/mb manufacturer you 'll find how to access bios setup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.